Thread: Assay frustration

Default Assay frustration

I just spent £80+ on getting some pieces marked by early hall.

Previously I have marked a box in marker on the piece and put 'please laser mark within the marked boundaries. Mark does not need to be to scale'. But both times I have been called to see if I wa t to pay for scaled up marks to fit the box. This has caused delay. This time, I marked an asterisk, and said on the note 'please start the laser mark near the pen mark.', to hopefully a oid confusion. This necklace is big - the pendant itself is 8cm high by 6cm across. The hallmark has been applied small ( which is fine) but diagonally, across one of the lines of the asterisk! It looks terrible. It looks completely random. I have no idea why you'd mark it like this, and not horizontally or vertically. Given that the pendant is on a chain, it is extremely obvious which way it hangs. It is too late to be redone as the customer is collecting it on Tuesday.
    What would you do? Am I being over fussy?

I understand your pain as I'm a perfectionist but I've come to the conclusion that customers mostly don't care about the hallmark in the first place and are even less likely to see that it's squint as it's the beauty of your piece that will take up their attention and I doubt they will turn it over.
    Edinburgh are usually really good but last year they laser marked a pair of earrings on the front even though the wires had already been formed. They weren't obviously fronted but I thought that would have given them an idea. I obviously had forgotten to mark them but my notes had said centre mark everything and they are usually really intuitive

Sorry to hear about the antics of the assay office. We must always complain, or they will go on doing it. Dennis.

As a customer frankly I wouldn't want a wonky hallmark. I would complain!

Hi Lydia,
    I've had a couple of things hallmarked badly many years ago. Nothing like that now. I am always really fussy about my marks and would definitely get them to urgently repair and re-hallmark the item, at their cost. They will only improve if we tell the they need to! Good luck.
    Jules