Thread: Porosity, Arghhhh

Default Porosity, Arghhhh

Hi,

I currently have an semi old ish signet ring which has porosity on the inside (thankfully).

What are the best options available to fill the small pits or is it a case of just leaving it?

Many Thanks

Adam

Dear AD,

You are obviously unhappy with it, although if it doesn't show I personally would leave it. You don't say what metal either.

You could try some heavy burnishing to close the pores as much as possible, followed by flowing solder all over the inside, then re-polishing. Unfortunately if this is a porous casting, it is likely to absorb a large amount of solder with no great improvement.

Another option would be to reline it with very thin sheet and then stretch it back to size. But why bother, when you can go for a country walk instead? Dennis.

Hi Dennis,

Sorry, forgot to mention it is 18ct gold.

It's one of little things that once you've noticed, you can't help noticing when I take the ring off etc...

As I said, luckily it's on the inside so it doesn't spoil the rings appearance, just annoyance more than anything.

I take your point, maybe it is a case of just leaving it be, hoping it would be quick fix.