Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reliable setter

You can see the gap between the stone and the top of the claw here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a serious disappointment Luci. hope someone can re-work it for you. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    That's a serious disappointment Luci. hope someone can re-work it for you. Dennis.
    Thank you Dennis

I'd probably just replace the claws and redo it; the laser makes these things (relatively) painless. Could just fill the claw back in, but I'd want a little more height in them too.
    At a guess there's been an assumption made on the position of the girdle that hasn't tallied with where the stone actually sits.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    I'd probably just replace the claws and redo it; the laser makes these things (relatively) painless. Could just fill the claw back in, but I'd want a little more height in them too.
    At a guess there's been an assumption made on the position of the girdle that hasn't tallied with where the stone actually sits.
    Thank you for your advice, would you go back to the same person to get the job right or start afresh with some one else?

Give that person a wide berth and go elsewhere. A professional will always make sure they send out a quality job, however stressed they might be. Dennis

Honestly? If it can be sorted by your existing setter, I'd get them to do it. Although, if it's taken 3 attempts then perhaps they don't have access to the kit? I'll also point out that my use of the laser falls into the "when you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail" approach - I use it for all sorts of things where traditional goldsmithing techniques would be more problematic, but there's more than one way to solve the problem.

(And a diametrically opposed view from Dennis I see! I would underscore my "*IF* it can be sorted..." - if they can't then the appropriate approach would be to say so. IMO.)