Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protective Film

Default Protective Film

Hi there

Does anybody know what that blue protective film that silver sheet comes in is called and where I can get it?

Don't know your location but my mate who is in stainless steel fabrication uses polyethylene 50um 2mx 2000m roll about $1020 each

There might be alternatives. What will you be using it for? Dennis.

China, I was just hoping it was something you could buy online in small quantities. Dennis I just wanted to use it to protect the surface of the metal when I'm using the disk cutter.

I'm wondering if it's this stuff?

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pain...tection/p20527

Quote Originally Posted by angmc View Post
    Dennis I just wanted to use it to protect the surface of the metal when I'm using the disk cutter.
    Ang, we mostly use masking tape for that, not only when cutting disks but for many activities, such as bezel setting and piercing where our surfaces might get damaged accidentally, or pick up grit from the bench peg.

It comes on a reel in various widths and degrees of stickiness. Buy it from paint shops, DIY stores and on line. Dennis.

Thanks Dennis. Yes I suppose masking tape would do the same job.

I've never had any problem with the cutters marking the surface of the silver even textured. Are your cutters maybe needing a clean?

Caroline, they're cheap cutters. The gap between the top and bottom bit is too big and the metal moves about when I hammer the cutter, and also the rest of the sheet warps and gets stuck inside so I have to pull at it to get it out! Wish I'd saved my money and bought a decent one!

You can use a shim (matchsticks work well) to stop the metal from moving around. One big hit with a nice heavy brass hammer works better than lots of little bashes, and is much less likely to push metal inside the hole.

It can sometimes be better value to just buy ready to use discs though. I cut hundreds of discs every week, and I still reckon it took a fair while to pay for my various cutters.