Thread: Hammering a platinum band

Default Hammering a platinum band

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could advise me. I am purchasing 2 platinum wedding bands at trade for friends and she would like a hammered finish on hers. Is this easy enough to achieve with platinum and also will the metal spread much? Should I order a half size smaller?

Thank you!

Marion

Marion, you can't actually predict how much the rings will enlarge. When you have achieved the texture you want, be prepared to re-size them.

An alternative might be to file random flat facets to keep the size unchanged. You could also experiment with a copper or brass ring first, to get a better idea of what might happen. Dennis.

Thanks for your quick reply Dennis!

And good thinking on the facets! I presume it would be easier to size up than down if the end result does need changing? She is a size L so was planning on ordering a K 1/2 as it is a fairly light hammered texture. Or is there not much point in guessing?

Thanks again,
    Marion

I've recently made my first platinum ring, so to answer your questions.
    Yes a hammered finish is easy to achieve.
    Yes it will stretch, as Dennis says, its hard to predict the exact amount, personally I would allow at least size.
    I would be reluctant to do too much filing at forty odd quid a gram
    I stretched mine up by about a size just by forging a gentle dome on the outer face as I wanted to keep the weight of metal intact.
    I assume bought blanks are cast so I don't know if they would behave any differently.
    I would definitely go for smaller to start with and stretch up, if you get it too big and have to cut a bit out and re weld you will need a decent torch and some eye protection.
    If you make it smaller by using a ring reduced you will mangle the lovely facets you have just made

Edit - our posts overlapped. If it is only an L, and only a light hammer, then half a size may be OK.
    Mine was Z+4!
    Last edited by trialuser; 23-03-2017 at 10:58 AM.

Hi Marion,

As an addendum to trialuser's comments, eye protection wise you need at least shade 6 preferably shade 7 to work with platinum and unfortunately Cooksongold don't seem to sell anything above a 5. I am all googled out looking for anything above a 5 in goggles and have decided to invest in a welding mask which covers shades 5 to 11 as it's the only protection I could find that was adequate! Funnily enough, I am just about to embark on my first platinum adventure having just inherited 2 platinum wedding rings.

Thank you to you all!

I have ordered a full size smaller and if I end up needing it sized after hammering I will use another jeweller to adjust. Not venturing into the world of platinum long term yet to invest in all the eye protection and solder etc.

Much better to keep checking with your ring stick, distribute the dents evenly, and stop hammering when you reach the desired size. Dennis.