Thread: Best way to heat up Thermo Loc?

Default Best way to heat up Thermo Loc?

I'm so sorry - i know this has been posted somewhere in the forum - I read it! But i can't for the life of me seem to find it again.
    I do remember someone saying to heat up thermo loc in hot water, but with my newly acquired thermo loc purchased this week, I tried this in a small bowl of hot water and it didn't do the trick.
    Perhaps i'm using too large a piece? Maybe it's best to use a microwave? I haven't used it before, so worried about the piece getting stuck in there, and then not know how to get it out.
    Is a craft heat gun the way forward? I saw one in Argos. Would this do the trick?
    http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6188452

Thanks for being patient, and if anyone does remember a good link on here, please could you post it?
    Thank you!

microwave works well put it on grease proof paper but take it easy 10 secs at a time and let it stand dont overheat it. I use a heat gun like the link but get one you can turn down and dont get to close you dont need to get it red hot just play the air over it. its like napalm when its to hot !

Ah brilliant. Thank you. On the instruction leaflet it came with, it said i could only heat in the microwave if i had a Teflon Pad. If i can use grease-proof paper, then i'll try that. Hopefully my next post won't be from the hospital.
    Will post how i get on.
    Thanks again

Hot water works, it needs to be straight out of the jug, make sure you you don't reheat in the microwave to release any metal object

Cutting to required length and then microwaving also gets my vote, although you'll need to experiment a little with timings etc until you get it hot enough to mould.

Nick

Are there any other ways except the microwaving and hot water?

I do not have a microwave right now and it did not work out for me with hot water.

A hot air gun, but not many people have those, or on a suitable surface in a domestic oven at about 90°C.

Here are the instructions: https://grs.com/PDF/LIT-230_ThermoLoc.pdf

However there is always Coolmorph, which softens at 42°C Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 26-03-2017 at 04:51 PM.

I bet you could use a tea light candle under a stainless butter tray or equivalent just set the height of the tray to stop it getting to hot

Thank you Dennis and Josef1 for your suggestions.

Just to follow up, I've found the microwave method perfect. Unfortunately, my microwave heats up at the very centre first (not sure if that's normal), so i put it on for 10 seconds at a time, on greaseproof paper (as advised), and reposition the thermoloc each time, and it works a treat.

Another of my problems solved by the forum! :0)