Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scrambled egg

Default Scrambled egg

Hi all,

I want to make a little egg shaped hollow form, (narrower at the top than the bottom). I thought press forming would be the way to go, length ways - fat end to thinner end, but I have found that I'm unable to get it deep enough without the metal splitting, so after completing the two halves they create an almond shape instead of a nice egg shape.

My plan was something the size of a chocolate mini egg, but I can't think how to do it.

If I make the two halves from doming (so the join would be across the middle), again I'm not sure I can get the sides high enough, and anyway, I can't see how I can match them up as one would be wider than the other.

I'm hoping there's a simple way to do it, that I just haven't thought of - and that someone can enlighten me as to how it's done. I definitely want an egg shape, not round.

Thanks
    Sue

This might sound pretentious are you annealing the metal frequently, I've metal that is constantly annealed stretch way beyond expectations,
    Last edited by china; 21-03-2017 at 11:28 AM.

Not at all pretentious China. I think you may be very gently asking if I have been a tad gung ho, and you may well be right. I certainly was with the first half, having been very cautious with the pressing on the 2nd go, on inspecting it thought the metal had not moved any and shoved it back in without annealing resulting in split metal. With the second half, I was less cautious with the pressing (and in a hurry as the workshop session was ending, and I don't have any pressing equipment at home), I annealed well, but I may have gone too far to fast with the pressing. It didn't split, but was just beginning to pucker very slightly at the edge, and as it was at about the same depth as the 1st half, decided that this was probably its limit. My metal is 0.6 thick.

Never done it myself Joella, but would this be an opportunity to get the pitch out and use an egg shape to make a mold?

Funny you should mention that Snorkmaiden, I've just dug out my pitch, which is rock hard, so I'll have to warm it up a bit and see what I can do.

I use my arbor press and some brass press tools that I made to shape small egg shaped pendants. I press the discs into a lead block to create the egg halves using a doming punch for one half and a slightly pointed punch for the other half, I also press the egg halves into a drill hole in a hardwood block to make them nice and round.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	421 Arbor press.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	10055 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19 Lead block.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	10054 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	324 small Easter egg punch.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	10056 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51 Clamp to hold egg or sphere halves together.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	10057

James
    James Miller FIPG

Well you have a choice of methods now Sue, but there should be no problem press forming it, if as has already been said, you anneal very frequently and:

Change to thicker metal if it still breaks. From what you describe, 0.7mm sounds about right.
    To increase the depth from shallow, insert an additional egg shaped pad into the hollow to continue.

Two further pitfalls: bevel and smooth the edge of the mould to allow the metal to move more easily instead of breaking.
    Make sure the mould is deep enough so that the metal can't 'bottom out'. Dennis

Thanks James, I wonder if polymorph would substitute for the lead block and punches - it's easy to get hold of at least. I have noticed that you can get a cheap half ton arbor press for about £40 or a 1 tone one for about £60, so perhaps one of those would do the job of a hydraulic press which is much too expensive.

Thanks Dennis, when you say an egg shaped pad, would that be hard (like the Perspex mold) or squishier - not sure what that would be made of. Don't have the urethane thingy so using blue tack as substitute. Good tip re bevelling the edge of the mold, didn't think of that - and there's plenty of room left in the hole for the metal to press into, so it won't bottom out.

Thanks all
    Sue

Hi Sue,The picture shows what is needed for simple press forming:

1.Two metal blocks,

2.A non conforming die of perspex, (mine is reinforced to stop it splitting with multiple use)
    Some Neoprene(artificial rubber), which unlike urethane, can be used as a loose pad and does not need a metal frame. I have three thicknesses according to the depth of my form.

3.And of course the metal sheet and a press.

The insert I mentioned could be cut out with scissors from thin neoprene sheet, or your beloved BluTack.

Here are small quantities of neoprene on line https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ne...JvTR8geHjoC4BA
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Non-conforming die.jpg  

Or... and dont laugh, you could use an existing egg shape to use as a model that you press into a mould. Say delft clay for instance. I've done this before with an organic heart shape, so in your case you could even use an egg shaped sweet / mini egg, or print a 3d model of one. Or press a small drawer handle halfway into a mould, cast two of them, solder together.

The only downside being that you'll use more metal and it'll increase the weight instead of being a hollow-form, although if the pendant is only a small one then a bit of weight could be a desirable thing.

Nick