Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speed for burrs when cutting silver?

This is brilliant information - THANKYOU! I think I'll avoid attempting the undercut as it really seems too tricky and it sounds a bit hazardous with stones that aren't hard. I don't think I have the budget for a microscope sadly although it does sound like a possible future purchase

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like all styles of setting there are various methods..all work but not for everything all the time.

If you are making your own things with similar materials, one method can be enough...however if doing jobs for others, you need to know as many different methods as possible in order to tackle whatever comes your way.

Try magnifying goggles to start, they look amazing too...

Quote Originally Posted by lucy.rawcliffe View Post
    Try magnifying goggles to start, they look amazing too...

Oh how VERY fetching . I just bought a pair of magnifying glasses which make me look as though I'm a weird night time stalker in night vision goggles........

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Oh how VERY fetching . I just bought a pair of magnifying glasses which make me look as though I'm a weird night time stalker in night vision goggles........
    Oi! What're you insinuating about NV?

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Oi! What're you insinuating about NV?
    Haha nothing weird about NV - just that in conjunction with my lime green mankini that it looks a bit strange......

As slow as possible to cut, for the burr to get a grip, and just as importantly for you to be able to control it properly without it skidding about. Essentially what everyone else has said.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Nick martin View Post
    As slow as possible to cut, for the burr to get a grip, and just as importantly for you to be able to control it properly without it skidding about. Essentially what everyone else has said.

Nick
    Thanks Nick - the slow speed does indeed seem to work nicely - I've also used a pin vice and finished off by hand which seems quite good in the settings I've tried so far - still to try a flush setting though - hopefully I'll get some practice this week....