Thread: Toggle Press Tooling

Default Toggle Press Tooling

Hi folks. I'm looking for advice/info. I bought this machine a couple of years back
    with the intention of using it in my jewellery making. It's a Schmidt toggle press and
    is a really nice piece of kit. It's a simple thing but the engineering is superb,
    there's no play at all in the action, everything is true and square where it should
    be. It has a cam action so the last 10 degrees of travel is where the most force is
    applied. It's used in industry on assembly lines where components are push fitted eg
    watch glasses.
    The thing is all I use it for at the moment is punching holes and riveting small copper items.
    The original plan was to make some tooling for it like for example
    1/ a bit holder into which I could put 4mm silver steel pattern punches that I would
    file up myself
    2/ a wire cutting shear which would be a hardened block with holes running
    horizontally and a simple hardened cutter... and
    3/ two part press moulds to make small components like the leaf form (16mm long) in
    the photo. These need to be hard like steel or bronze so I can get some use from them.
    I was working with a sculptor casting bronze and had some patterns made up ready to
    cast but circumstances changed and they didn't get done.

If anyone has any information about getting some press moulds made I would be very
    grateful.
    The reason I'm doing this by the way is that I can't make too much noise where I live
    so I have to find quiet ways of working.
    If anyone is interested in making some or any of these things please message me

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toggle_press_01.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	10043Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toggle_press_02.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	10044Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toggle_press_03.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	10045Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toggle_press_04.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	10046Thanks. Steve

Sorry Steve I have no experience of that, although some members do have an arbour press. What force can it exert?

I have a twenty ton hydraulic press, mainly used with neoprene pads to form domed shapes in non-conformative dies made of perspex.
    As I also like to reduce noise, it's in use for for flattening sheet and wire as well. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Non-conformative die.jpg