Thread: What guage metal for small silver hearts

Default What guage metal for small silver hearts

Hi id like to cut out small silver hearts to solder on a copper disc but ive never cut anything this small...wondering what the best guage of sheet to use to make it as easy as possible? Thanks

i

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

The gauge of sheet is not that important Paul. It just depends how much you want it stand up. From your drawing, I would suggest 0.8mm sheet.

To cut them out, start with a strip a tiny bit wider and use a 3/0 saw blade. Do not cut the notch in the top first time around, but hold the partially cut charm in a small hand vice and do it with two cuts later.

This is the sort of thing and it can be made safe against scratching with masking tape. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RDGTOOLS-J...-/291493772038

There is tons more to say, for instance to make a stencil for the hearts, so shout out if stuck. Dennis.

Great Dennis will have to get one of those...only got 0.5mm fine silver sheet at the moment. ..will have to order some 0.8mm... thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paulat View Post
    Great Dennis will have to get one of those...only got 0.5mm fine silver sheet at the moment. ..will have to order some 0.8mm... thanks

Give it a go in .5 and see how you find it. You have it to hand so what's stopping you? If you want it to be more proud i.e. positive topography then order 0.8 or 1mm.

Thanks

Better still, give it a go in copper first.