Thread: Crap disc cutter

Default Crap disc cutter

Hi im getting very frustrated with a fairly cheap disc cutter i bought off ebay...doesn't cut cleanly and the punches keep getting stuck and it takes ages trying to pull them out....can any of you recommend a better quality disc cutter that works easily? I generally only use the smallest punches Thanks☺

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hi Paul. This is a common problem with cheap disk cutters. Try to send yours back.
    I dont cut many disks and usually only for doming, so I can recommend this one which is not in the higher price range, but has worked for 20 years or so.

The punches still stick after cutting and have to be driven through with an iron nail, over a gap in my vice. I think the very best punches are slightly tapered so that they fall through.

It also helps to have a heavy hammer to get a good clean disk and avoid repeated blows.

It is some consolation that even a very expensive set at a college I attend has quickly succumbed to multiple users and has several dud punches now. Dennis.

Thsnks Dennis...actually it is Paula☺

I can recommend this one, http://pepetools.com/cutting/premium-disc-cutting-kit, it is not a budget model but it works very well, Imy experience pretty much all disk cutters suffer to some degree with the punches becoming stuck I have a brass drift to solve that problem

I own a Durston model, and as with most of my tools I always 'try' to buy the best I can with the mentality of if I look after them well, then hopefully they'll give me many years of good service.

Its one of those things thats hard to see the value in until you buy it, but as with all Durston products, they really are very good. As has been mentioned above, Pepe also make superb tools in this category.

I'd invest a little bit more money and you'll be pleased you did, especially if you're planning on cutting a lot of discs out, doming etc.

Nick

Thanks guys i will look into a better quality one....by the way whats a Brass Drift? ☺

Brass drift is a piece of brass used to knock or "drift' out the jammed punches in my case it is a tapered brass rod from about 9mm-20mmx300mm it is heavy enough that I usually don't need a hammer

Did you make it yourself?

Yes, although I have a metal lathe in my shed, you could do it by hand it does not have to be fancy, I just think it will not damage the punches