Thread: A new addition to Cookson's tools

Default A new addition to Cookson's tools

I see that Cooksongold are now selling the Knew Concept's titanium strips for making the soldering clamps. I think they are the first jewellers tool shop in the UK to stock them.

See;http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...rcode-997-3318

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	57d UK, Ti clamps sheet low res.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	10008

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 11-03-2017 at 01:47 PM.

I am going to buy some of these strips. Your clamps are brilliantly simple. Does the titanium maintain its strength while heating? Do you grind them with silicon carbide or diamond wheels?
    Last edited by Goldsmithing; 11-03-2017 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmithing View Post
    I am going to buy some of these strips. Your clamps are brilliantly simple. Does the titanium maintain its strength while heating? Do you grind them with silicon carbide or diamond wheels?
    Yes the titanium maintains it's strength nicely while heating. I cut my clamps with a piercing saw and then use files to tidy up the points. The main advantage of these titanium clamps is that they don't drain much heat away from whatever you are soldering.

If you are on any of the main jeweller's sites on Facebook I have added PDF files to most of them showing my tips on how I make the soldering clamps.

James
    James Miller FIPG

Makes sense, I have my lapidary equipment in my shop and get into the lazy habit of using it with any iron tool modifications. I have several tweezers I have used my diamond wheels to get really fine tips as an attempt to minimize the heat sinking but the titanium properties sound perfect. What are some of the jeweller sites you recommend on facebook that are good for hand fabricators? I will go look at the PDFs.
    Last edited by Goldsmithing; 11-03-2017 at 04:20 PM.

The Facebook groups are usually closed groups so you have to join;
    Here are some UK ones; The Society of British Jewellers - Jewellery Metalsmiths UK - Lapidary & Smithing and all aspects of Lapidary etc UK.
    and USA based; Creative Metal Forming - The Metalsmiths Workshop - The Metalsmiths Coffee House - Jewellery Collective - Jewellers Metalsmiths and Lapidary Artists.

If you are on any FB sites let me know your FB name and I can add you to any.
    I am Jim Miller on FB.

I am loosing credibility here, but I have not ventured into Facebook yet, unlike the rest of my family and the what looks like the world. I should probably get with the program. I will take you up on the offer after I get a FB page......Thanks

I was in Hatton Garden yesterday, so now that Cookson stock these, the temptation was too great and I bought some.

It seems that they have been cut with bench shears, because they are noticeably warped. This is not a serious drawback, but at around £2 a piece, you would hardly expect to be straightening them yourself.

I have added dimensions to a photograph, to supplement the instructions given on line. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Titanium Strips.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I was in Hatton Garden yesterday, so now that Cookson stock these, the temptation was too great and I bought some.

It seems that they have been cut with bench shears, because they are noticeably warped. This is not a serious drawback, but at around £2 a piece, you would hardly expect to be straightening them yourself.

I have added dimensions to a photograph, to supplement the instructions given on line. Dennis.
    Dennis, when I got Knew Concepts interested in selling these strips to make the clamps the sizes I gave them were all metric, but being in the USA they decided to supply the strips sized in imperial measurements and they made the strips thicker than my original suggestions. The strips I have are mostly nice and straight . I actually prefer milling the strips down to 0.75mm. thickness befores re annealing and shaping the clamps. The clamps I made from the 1,3mm. thick strips as sold needed their tips to be filed thinner to suit holding small pieces in place when soldering. When piercing the points I use size 0 saw blades.

This was the suggestion photo I sent to Lee Marshall back then.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	23   Tclamps in 2 thickness, script sheet.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	10015

Good luck
    James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 16-03-2017 at 08:38 AM.

Thanks James, I'll have a go at them today. Dennis.