Thread: How to make these type earrings?

Default How to make these type earrings?

Hi guys,

A total newbie here, I have just started working with silver and would love to get some advice on how I can make these type of hoop earrings with ear posts? Is it as simple as just soldering on the posts once you have the wire/tube the shape/size you want? I just recently found this forum and already I find it to be really helpful as there are not any decent classes near me so I am relying on books etc...

Thank you in advance:-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	earrings.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	9985

You're right choccie, but there are things you need to know.

1. It is very difficult to bend tube like this, because it will collapse unless you can seal in something solid like wax or sand and then remove it afterwards.

2. Whatever you use don't go near it with pliers, or you will get unsightly marks. Bend it around a slightly smaller rod or dowel with your fingers and it will tend to end up a little bigger.

3. If you can solder the ear post on and bend afterwards, the hoops will end up less soft and retain their shape better. However if you only have a mini torch, you will struggle to get straight wire hot enough for soldering, so best to form hoops first. In fact even hoops need a surprising amount of heat and you might well need to form a box with an open front using tiles or bricks to build up the heat in. If in trouble use easy solder.

4. Many of us when starting a new project try it in copper first, to avoid wasting silver. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails s Improvised chamber for conserving heat..jpg  
    Last edited by Dennis; 02-03-2017 at 10:37 AM.

Hi Dennis,

I really appreciate your tips and advice! All I could find before was tutorials on basic hoops with no earring posts so you have been a huge help to me:-)

Thank you :-)

Michelle

On Facebook there is a group called"The Society of British Jewellers" and someone on this group recently had success bending tubes using these tube bending springs, see; http://hobby.uk.com/set-tube-benders.html

James

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    On Facebook there is a group called"The Society of British Jewellers" and someone on this group recently had success bending tubes using these tube bending springs, see; http://hobby.uk.com/set-tube-benders.html

James
    I was just about to paste the same link James. I ordered a set which may arrive today so will let you know how I get on.

Oh they look good! Ive just ordered some too thanks James!

Thank you James! I will order them today:-) I would really appreciate it Caroline & Enigma if you can let me know how you get on?

Thank you all so much for your help:-)

Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by choccie View Post
    Thank you James! I will order them today:-) I would really appreciate it Caroline & Enigma if you can let me know how you get on?

Thank you all so much for your help:-)

Michelle
    Will do, they didn't come today. Great but bizarre website, had to stop myself from looking at anything else might be useful!