Thread: Recovering metals from an old polishing machine filter?

Default Recovering metals from an old polishing machine filter?

Hi everyone

I've searched through all the old threads, but can't seem to find an answer, so I wondered if anyone could help.

I've gone and bought a pretty archaic polishing machine complete with extraction.
    Can anyone recommend a reputable place to send the extractor filter to recover anything it might conrtain? Kind of hoping it might be worth something.

Thank you in advance.

My guess is that unless it has been used long term for high carat gold, the subsequent assay cost will wipe out any value, Lucie. Dennis.

Thanks Dennis. That's what I thought, it was just in case......

My husband drove to Birmingham for me yesterday to collect it.
    It was from a house clearance and definitely belonged to a jeweller because the guy selling it recovered gold rings inside it, but he's left the filter in place.

During a chat with Presman's reps, I was told about someone who brought 2 carrier bags of polishing waste (the dust, fibre crud etc.) to them a week from a silversmithing outfit. The resulting payout covered staff wages, according to the tale.

They didn't say what the staff were paid though...

Quote Originally Posted by Lucie View Post
    definitely belonged to a jeweller because the guy selling it recovered gold rings inside it.
    I can't quite envisage any circumstances in which gold rings would get drawn into the ducts of a polishing machine and be left there by the person doing the polishing. What do you tell the owner? "Sorry, I can't give you your ring back because it got sucked into the polisher and I can't be bothered to fish it out for you."?

Don't tell me thinks like that Peter. Trying not to get excited. It's probably just full of rubbish.

It's definitely very old and has been heavily used - maybe for mass produced jewellery rather than by an individual jeweller.
    It's full of what looks like very old rouge.

It's made by La Ronka who have said that they haven't made one in years. Fortunately, it's a really similar design to the Ventura ones, so the filter is replaceable.
    Last edited by Lucie; 27-02-2017 at 07:09 PM.

The rouge will contain some metal - no idea how much though.