Thread: Hallmarking jewellery

Default Hallmarking jewellery

Hi all

Hope your all good and dont mind advising a newbie!!

I'm starting a new jewellery making business and would love your expertise. I'm using pmc3. If I want to market it as pure silver is it correct I don't need to hallmark it if it's under 7.78 grams? If we are talking about a charm here what if the charm is under 7.78g but I sell it with a necklace chain that take it over the weight limit a) the chain is hallmarked or b) the chain is not hallmarked. Do I have to add the chain to the weight of the charm I made?

Also does it make a difference to the hallmarking rules if I call it steering silver versus pure silver?

Many thanks
    Rebecca

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes thats correct regarding the weight allowance.
    If it is not fixed on the chain you don't need to include the chain in the weight allowance, if it is fixed then you do.
    Not sure what you mean by the last question, but the weight allowance is still the same.

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccatatum View Post
    Also does it make a difference to the hallmarking rules if I call it steering silver versus pure silver?
    The hallmarking rules remain the same Rebecca, but when you declare the metal used by filling in your hallnote, the hallmark will say 925 for sterling, or 999 for fine silver. Dennis.

Default Hallmarking jewellery

Thanks both.
    Last edited by BexSilver; 22-02-2017 at 11:09 AM.