Thread: mystified

Default mystified

Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me why there seems to be courses for stone setting but not for how to make the mounts for the stones to go in? I've only come across one, and that's at the Goldsmiths Centre. I'm wondering how much use a stone setting course is, if you don't know how to make the mounts? I must be missing something, but I don't know what it is.

Thanks
    not so much mystic meg, just mystified sue!

It's probably because there are such a myriad of ways to set a gemstone Sue.

My advice would be to get a great book or ten, such as John cogswells on stone setting and basically practice and teach yourself.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by joella View Post
    Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me why there seems to be courses for stone setting but not for how to make the mounts for the stones to go in? I've only come across one, and that's at the Goldsmiths Centre. I'm wondering how much use a stone setting course is, if you don't know how to make the mounts? I must be missing something, but I don't know what it is.
    What you seem to be missing is that off-the-peg, ready-made mounts in all shapes and sizes are widely available, and either these or bespoke castings are what many jewellery makers or retailers use to set stones in. Fabricated mounts are a relative rarity. The paucity of courses in mount-making reflects current practices.

I agree I find it odd too!
    I actually did a stone setting course a few years ago and was disappointed to discover when I arrived it was only setting as I could have used some help with fabrication at that point too.
    However some centres do cover basic fabrication techniques in their more general jewellery making courses so may be worth checking that out.
    Also just to add that a decent stone setting course is still worth doing and does help.

I offer that now Sue if that's any help to you? I know you're not far from me

Thanks for the responses guys,

I've been away so sorry for the lateness of my reply.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who found it odd Sarah. Jill, that sounds great, can you let me know details - I'd definitely be interested in that.

Thanks sue