Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jewelers saw blade (dumb question, really)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wink Jewelers saw blade (dumb question, really)

So, this is a really, REALLY stupid question...but I'm a brand spankin NOOB...

So, I ordered a jeweler's saw. I've never used one. It came with 6 blades of graded sizes.

SOOO...I dont know if I got 6 blades or 6 BUNDLES of blades. Each 'blade' appears to be a bunch of fibers, with a larger fiber wrapped spirally around them. I AM able to pull the individual fibers out of the bundle, but theyre (apparently) way to thin to be useful.

So...is each bundle ONE blade or a bunch of blades that should be pulled out of the spiral wrap for use?

No laughing

this is a guess I'd say you have six different sizes, probably 10 blades in each bundle,you can just pull one blade at a time out although the others will then generally be loose and fall out, most find some type of small tube to keep them in I use 20mm electrical conduit, they are fine and need to be to do fine work.Take you time they break very regularly when you first start out, you will soon get hang of it and they will last long enough to actually get blunt.

These are what piercing saw blades should look like, these are size 0. and size 3/0. These packs are gross packs, 12 bundles of 12 saw blades in each.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	450 Glardon Vallorbe 0 size blades.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	9955 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	451 Glardon Vallorbe 3-0 size blades.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	9956

To saw you must fit single blades in the saw frame with the cutting teeth facing forward and pointing down towards the saw's handle.

James

Hi all
    A side question to this one, what do other jewellers keep their blades in? I would like to keep mine in some slim plastic tubes but am having problems finding such item.

David

Quote Originally Posted by David_Amos View Post
    Hi all
    A side question to this one, what do other jewellers keep their blades in? I would like to keep mine in some slim plastic tubes but am having problems finding such item.

David
    I keep mine in ziplock bags clearly labelled and segregated. That way I'm always sure what blade I'm reaching for. If you insist on open access, you can try Bic biro bodies minus their guts glued together in a clump and stood upright in a suitable jar. Beware of upsetting the jar and jumbling the contents.

Paintball tubes.

I have a printed rack for them too

Name:	tubes.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	12.5 KB 
ID:	9957

They all used to be kept in a purpose made piercing saw blade holder - until it fell off the bench and scattered it's contents across the floor.
    Now they are all mixed up in pot - I have no idea of which size is where - I just pick out a random blade and assess if it's fit for the job at hand. If not put it back and try again. Oddly, I very rarely have to pick twice!

Name:	Saw Blades.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	9962
    Sally

Quote Originally Posted by -Sally- View Post
    Now they are all mixed up in pot. Sally
    They can in fact be identified by measuring the thickness with callipers against a new batch of known size. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by -Sally- View Post
    They all used to be kept in a purpose made piercing saw blade holder - until it fell off the bench and scattered it's contents across the floor.
    Now they are all mixed up in pot - I have no idea of which size is where - I just pick out a random blade and assess if it's fit for the job at hand. If not put it back and try again. Oddly, I very rarely have to pick twice!

Name:	Saw Blades.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	9962
    Sally
    Oh thank goodness Sally, mine are in a plastic drawer and I just pick one that looks good to me!

Quote Originally Posted by David_Amos View Post
    Hi all

David
    Empty biro - take the pen bit out and you have a slim tube the right length x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk