Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jewelers saw blade (dumb question, really)

They all used to be kept in a purpose made piercing saw blade holder - until it fell off the bench and scattered it's contents across the floor.
    Now they are all mixed up in pot - I have no idea of which size is where - I just pick out a random blade and assess if it's fit for the job at hand. If not put it back and try again. Oddly, I very rarely have to pick twice!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Saw Blades.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	9962
    Sally

I use Bergeon saw blades, they come in their own plastic holder.
    Poor old Les

Wow! Great responses! Thanks!

So, follow up question. When I tried to use one of the thin fibers pulled from a bundle...it snapped almost instantly (first cutting stroke). I think this was because I didnt have it tightened to a nice 'ping' sound when plucked. This is what actually inspired the question.

Any suggestions for this not happening

Quote Originally Posted by -Sally- View Post
    Now they are all mixed up in pot. Sally
    They can in fact be identified by measuring the thickness with callipers against a new batch of known size. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by BurningKrome View Post
    So, follow up question. When I tried to use one of the thin fibers pulled from a bundle...it snapped almost instantly (first cutting stroke). I think this was because I didnt have it tightened to a nice 'ping' sound when plucked. This is what actually inspired the question.
    The ideal tension comes with experience, bit it gives a ping, rather than a twang. For the finest saw blades though, the note needs to be lower, because they commonly break at once if over-tensioned.

Which blade to use? Well the guidelines say:hold the saw upright and three teeth to be in contact with the edge of a sheet at any one time. The teeth point downwards and the metal is supported on a bench peg.
    Try to use only enough pressure to keep contact. Any sudden twisting is liable to break the blade. Dennis.

If you have a micrometer then this saw blade chart may be useful.

Name:	478a Saw blades sizes.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	9963

James
    James Miller FIPG

Quote Originally Posted by -Sally- View Post
    They all used to be kept in a purpose made piercing saw blade holder - until it fell off the bench and scattered it's contents across the floor.
    Now they are all mixed up in pot - I have no idea of which size is where - I just pick out a random blade and assess if it's fit for the job at hand. If not put it back and try again. Oddly, I very rarely have to pick twice!

Name:	Saw Blades.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	9962
    Sally
    Oh thank goodness Sally, mine are in a plastic drawer and I just pick one that looks good to me!

Quote Originally Posted by art925 View Post
    I use Bergeon saw blades, they come in their own plastic holder.
    I forgot to mention Sally...fine use of Hollands finest tourist offerings!
    Poor old Les

BurningKrome - here's a link to using a jeweller's saw - it might help you:
    http://www.fdjtool.com/custom.aspx?id=117

Thank you Dennis and James for the info on sorting my sawblades - but I'm with Caroline now!

After getting over the initial great distress of having mixed all the different brands and sizes of blades I was part way through comparing - to discover my nirvana of saw blade choices, I realised it cuts out an entire frustrating thought/conversion process of thinking that say a 2/0 should be the right blade for the job, loading it up and then deciding it doesn't feel quite right, then going through the process with a 3/0 and a 4/0 etc.

Now, I pick out a blade and look at it, decide if I need to aim for a skinnier or thicker one - and cut out the whole irritation of the theoretically correct grade blade not being the right one.
    For me, ignorance is bliss (possibly not exactly bliss, but a pleasanter feeling than irritation).

Sally

I forgot to mention Sally...fine use of Hollands finest tourist offerings!
    I think it was originally full of cigars!

Sally