Thread: Joining bracelet elements

Default Joining bracelet elements

I thought I would try a different type of joint for a bracelet, tubes linked by wire,Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010918.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	9913 but am really making a pig's ear of it. Is there a particular order this type of join should be made in?
    I have been bending one end of the wire, hooking through, cutting to length and then bending the other end before inserting. But I seem to be marking the wire too much. I then hammered gently to ensure the wire was well inside the tube.
    I have a bracelet with this type of joint and it looks so smooth compared to my efforts.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

The wire should be annealed. Then insert it into one tube and complete the oval shape with the ends not quite meeting midway, to give you a little leeway.

Next open the visible arm just enough to allow the ends to be inserted into the second tube. First one and then the other.

They wont both go all the way, but if you mount a rod, or something steel vertically in a vice to push against and have the bracelet horizontal against it you can exert force on the loops by pushing with closed pliers on the other side, until they are well in. Of course you might have pliers which open wide enough to do this last part on their own. Hope this works Theresa. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 18-02-2017 at 04:17 PM.

Thanks Dennis - I did try that way on my latest attempt and it was better. Perhaps I just need more practice to make it look perfect. At least it's only wire so very little cost involved.

I had meant to mention that I am a great fan of bamboo chop sticks, to push with, push against and use short lengths as a punch with a hammer, because they dont leave marks. Good lucK, Dennis.