Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost Wax Casting info

Default Lost Wax Casting info

Hello everyone - does anyone know of good sources of info for lost wax casting? Not on the actual casting bit as for now I plan to send my pieces to a casting business, but info on actually creating the wax models to be cast. I've been to one lost wax casting class and learned a bit, but was looking for more information on good design practices, what not to do, etc. Specifically I have an idea in mind that would involve creating a type of locket with a hinge. I haven't worked out yet if the hinge itself should be part of the cast design or is that something that should be soldered on after the casting is complete?
    I attended a 3-day course for lost wax casting and I learned a bit but much of the time was spent on the casting and finishing, not so much on creating. It was just enough of a taster course to make me want to try more. Although these days people are churning out wax models using a 3D printer, I would like to create by hand the old fashioned way!

Sandra, whenever I have made wax models for casting I have made them the old fashioned way, I buy my modelling materials and tools from here; http://www.tiranti.co.uk/

If I was going to model a locket I would not add the tubes for a hinge until after the casting, I would add the base and groove for the hinge tubes onto each model half though.

The last model I made was the stag, which I have shown before, I made this model by first rough shaping two copper halves of the body and legs and then built up the stag's body using Scopas wax, modelled with dental tools heated over a spirit lamp flame.
    sorry if you have seen this before.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JM stag waxes sheet.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	9465

James

Sandra, this question cropped up recently on the forum here:
    http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/sho...ht=wax+carving.

If you Google 'wax carving', 'wax carving for jewellery' and all its variants, you will find lots of useful information and also very cheap tools. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=wa...B8OT8Qep7oeQBA

Dennis.

You can cast a hinge and use a pencil lead from an automatic pencil to stop it closing up, It can then be removed from the cast piece,Im not sure this is the best way but it works. I find wax carving by hand really difficult its a proper skill , I would love to be better at it, I think if you can sculp you have a big advantage, One tip that may come in handy is to use light to get a uniform thickness if you hold the model to the window the light will be the same colour if the wax is the same thickness. Also try not to make things to heavy in the design a digital caliper is a good help try to get one with anvils on the end like the picture so you can get in. Good luck I think its its very rewarding when you get into it .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	79092abf-ac09-004b-07e1-b730b07ed34a.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	9466

Does anyone have experience with either Abbey castings or GE Allen castings?

That is so rude, you haven't even taken a moment to thank people for replying to your initial questions

No, but West one Castings in London are good. http://www.londononline.co.uk/profiles/181879/ Dennis.

Who me rude? I'm not really! I don't get a chance to get on the forum like I used to as I can't log in from my ipad or phone any longer so I'm hardly here. Of course I'm always thankful for help!

Damn, sorry - my fault. I tried to remove Sarah's post last night, told her that I had and clearly failed. Apologies, both.

Strange, it had disappeared last night but now its back.
    In any case, yes Sandra it does come across as very rude that you asked for advice, got advice from several people and even when you came back on to ask for more advice you committed to thank those who had previously given it freely.
    Clearly you didn't intend it to come across that way but it did.
    I feel its important to make sure people know that we are grateful that they take the time to help us, especially those on this thread who are here for us so much.