Thread: gold plating for beginners

Question gold plating for beginners

Hello everyone!
    I want to start gold plating my own jewelry and I have few question:

First what is the optimum thickness of the plaiting for rings and pendants? In terms of durability and price.

Seconed, I understood that for plating brass I have to apply first a nickel barrier, is there a problem using this material? And when I see the term "nickel activator" (at the online shops) does it refer to the nickel plating?

Last question, I saw a lot of kits online. Most of them contain power supplier (and electrodes), chemicals (gold and cleaning solutions) and the tanks. It is not look to complicate to buy them separately and to cut the costs. Am I missing something?

Best regards,
    dan

The materials used for this are highly toxic and require careful handling and an extraction unit.

So unless you have a large throughput and expect to continue into the future, you would be well advised to give this task over to professional platers. Dennis.

Thanks Dennis I was trying to find a previous post for this as I thought it was toxic and not to be advised
    Last edited by CJ57; 07-02-2017 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    The materials used for this are highly toxic and require careful handling and an extraction unit.

So unless you have a large throughput and expect to continue into the future, you would be well advised to give this task over to professional platers. Dennis.
    Hey Dennis, thank you for the quick reply.
    I worked with dangerous chemicals before (my previous occupation) so I know what safety equipment should be used.

Is there any problem with selling jewelries which plated with nickel as a barrier?

Sorry dont know, there are regulations about the nickel content of jewellery but your best resource would be the people who sell the kits. Dennis.

Thank you again Dennis.

Maybe someone else have any experience with gold plating at home that can help me with the other questions?

Dan.

I think you might find Dan that for all the reasons stated by Dennis, forum members send their work off to be professionally plated