Thread: Posting to the USA unsure of a few things.

Default Posting to the USA unsure of a few things.

This is my second post in the forum and everyone has been so helpful many thanks but I have another burning question.
    I am currently on Etsy but only post to the UK and I would like to start post to the USA. I have a few worries!

What do I describe my Silver and sea glass pieces as?
    What happens if the parcel gets stuck in customs?
    What happens if a customer refuses to pay and Tax and Custom duties upon delivery?

Ohhh I really want to do this as it may open up a whole new world for me but boy am I scared!!
    Any help would be really appreciated.

I already have the C22 labels.

Many thanks

Michaela

I sell a lot to the US and rarely have problems with customs, very occasionally items can be held up for a week or two but I haven't had any major problems.
    I list my items as jewellery on the customs form but put a low value and cover any risk myself.
    I would say unless you are selling very expensive items that is the easiest way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    I list my items as jewellery on the customs form but put a low value and cover any risk myself.
    Hi Sarah
    I'm also thinking of opening to the USA Sarah and am as green as grass on what the requirements are and any pitfalls.
    Without wishing to pry are you able to indicate what you mean by 'A low value'?
    E.g. - sub £150?
    - sub £100?
    - sub £50?
    or less?

Presumably the C22 is some sort of Customs declaration? Is it compulsory

Hi Tim

Im actually in Portugal so your forms may not be exactly the same but I put down 50 euros as value so if they do get charged customs it would be a low fee, I have shipped several hundred items to the US so far and not yet had a problem or a customer mention that they have had customs to pay.
    Im pretty sure the forms will be compulsory for you to ship from the UK, they are for us here.
    Really the bigger issue is with high value items as obviously in doing this you will have no insurance cover but the insurance is often so hard to get to pay out anyway I take the risk myself instead.
    I think if an item was several thousands though you would want to look into a decent courier service and charge the extra.

I send (from the UK to USA) by International tracked and signed, listed on forms as jewellery. Your etsy postage notes should say that customs and taxes vary from country to country and any charges relating to these are the customer's responsibility. I reiterate this if anyone purchases from overseas too.

You should look up the correct customs commodity code for whatever you make and put that on the paperwork. If your paperwork is correct it is unlikely the package will be opened at the destination country so they can work out what is the correct duty/tax rate. 'Jewellery' is not enough on its own. The codes are here https://www.gov.uk/trade-tariff
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Thanks Pearlescence.
    I am going to have a look now.

Had family visiting so Have been offline
    Just a quick belated thank you for all your helpful responses and to you Michaela for posting the question in the first place.
    Guess I'd better bite the bullet and start set up a USA shipping profile.