Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Golden Eye.

Default Golden Eye.

My first fish brooch made years ago, when I was just starting out, was flat and rather boring, though I liked it at the time. Sadly it was lost during a house move, so someone out there might still be wearing it or more likely, it fell through a space in the floor boards and has been gathering dust ever since.

The replacement I made some time later, was more rounded and jolly and had a funky eye like a clown.

The third, just completed, uses some of the stock from my pangolin experiments, gently formed in a hydraulic press. The lips, gill cover and pectoral fin were then added and to finish it off I have given it a golden eye, made from a small disk of 18ct veneer on silver. It was domed and then perforated for the pupil.

The back plate which carries the remaining fins, textured with a scorper, has been cut away in the centre to reduce its weight.

There is a stout stainless steel pin, as double pins are difficult to use for some.
    I think I prefer the funky one still.

Sheet used: 0.7mm. Pin 1.0mm wire.
    Approx. dimensions: 65 x 25 mm. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fish Brooch 1.jpg   Fish Brooch 2.jpg   Fish Brooch 3.jpg   Fish Brooch 3 Reverse.jpg  

They all have their charm Dennis, the newest's pout lips are excellent. I feel sad to think of version one languishing in the dust under a floor though

I love the first one - its so jolly and fun and somehow quite 'cuddly', and I love the 2nd one - its so refined, an aristocratic fish! definitely not to be cuddled - but admired.
    Sue

I like them all - but the third one is really outstanding, very lifelike - and I appreciate the little bits of weed in the photo too.
    Did you scorper the scaley texture on the front aswell?
    Sally

Dennis, they are all sweet, but the golden eyed fish is absolutely beautiful (and my favourite!)

I somehow managed to miss the 1st one, so my previous comments related to fish 2 and 3! But fish 1 is lovely too.

Absolutely stunning work Dennis. I especially love the goldeneye and the texture is perfect. We have 6 tinfoil barbs and I'd love to recreate them in silver one day, as they have such beautiful eyes and their fins are tinged with orange.
    Jules

Thank you all for liking my fish.
    Sally the body texture was made in the mill, by rolling sheet with fine nylon fabric and then expanded metal mesh. Dennis.

Wow, Dennis ... liking the last: very lifelike

Carpe diem!