Thread: Interlinked bangles- sizing?

Default Interlinked bangles- sizing?

Hi,

Ive been asked to make 3 interlinked bangles, like the attached and wondered how the sizing would work?
    Would each one be made the size of a normal bangle for that person? or do I need to allow more room?
    Thanks in advance
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	interlinkedbangles.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	9861

Sorry, its this top pic, the 3 bangles with stones I added by mistake and now I can't work out how to remove it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3bangles.jpg  

It's really like a Russian wedding ring, Sarah. You need to aim two or three sizes bigger.

They are fun to wear, but a nuisance to make, because they have to be soldered and rounded individually, then all but the first cut again, linked and resoldered.

Ideally you will knock them up out of copper first, because once they are connected they cant be stretched. Dennis.

Sarah - I love my interlocking bangles.

For size reference, i've just measured and the inner diameter of my usual bangles is 57mm, but I'm quite fussy and like mine to fit snuggly over my hand. My interlocking bangles are 61mm inside diameter - again a snug fit. Wire is 2mm - one round wire, one oval wire, one square wire.

Coincidentally, I started another set on Thursday. Just need to remember that once the bangles are rounded to the same size and work hardened, before cutting two of them open to interlock they need to be annealed so they don't spring open and risk losing shape to get the ends to meet.

Susieq

When I make them I just add the depth to the diameter.

So if you wanted a diameter of say 63mm, and the bangle was 3mm deep I would aim for 66mm. As a bangle though I would probably go a little larger and then just trim down before soldering.

We make a lot of Russian wedding rings and use the same formula to obtain the size.

All done and on their way to the customer, thanks so much for the help Click image for larger version. 

Name:	simonbangles.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	10076

Deceptively simple. Hope you get a positive response from you customer, Sarah. Those will go on looking good forever, because they are self polishing aswell. Dennis

Thanks Dennis

Its a groom to be's present to his wife to be so we are both hoping she likes them !