Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone ever lose their "Mojo"?

Default Does anyone ever lose their "Mojo"?

After a year or so of tinkering with silver, I got more and more requests to make this and that and the other. I was always happy to say yes as it was something for me to practice on. The more it continued, the more it felt like a chore rather than a pleasure. Who can identify with this?

I can!

I am still utterly addicted to making jewellery, but as time goes on I prefer making items of my own design as opposed to making items on commission that are designed by others. Theres less scope for hassle, or clients changing their minds, arguments over this and that.

The thing I struggle with the most however is inspiration, and thats the area where my 'mojo' goes missing the most. It usually returns soon afterwards once I've got some time off from my day job.

Nick

I am in the position to pick and choose what I do and when I do it, so it does not become a chore

I completely understand!
    When customers ask for very specific items and I have no design input it can get very tedious. Especially when they change their mind etc. I can definitely relate to this post, I'm quite happy it's not just me that feels like this
    Louise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not yet, no.
    Im quite lucky in that I regularly get customers wanting special designs and thats the thing I enjoy the most

Day jobs can certainly intervene in the gloriousness of silversmithing! I'm inspired by everything - just having the time and inclination to do anything about it is the problem.
    I don't sell things; just do it for myself and family and friends. One friend decided she was going to propose to her girlfriend and wanted matching engagement rings. Thing is there was a week to do them and, as it was a surprise, the finger size of the recipient was a guess.
    Halfway through I got admitted to hospital with an infection of the esophagus - really poorly - couldn't breathe or swallow.
    The day I got out of hospital I tried to finish the rings - they weren't my best work but she needed them that day. Next day she phoned to ask if I could reduce the size of her girlfriend's ring as it was too big grrrrrrrr - I felt I'd failed. I think that's when I lost my Mojo

Day jobs can certainly intervene in the gloriousness of silversmithing! I'm inspired by everything - just having the time and inclination to do anything about it is the problem.
    I don't sell things; just do it for myself and family and friends. One friend decided she was going to propose to her girlfriend and wanted matching engagement rings. Thing is there was a week to do them and, as it was a surprise, the finger size of the recipient was a guess.
    Halfway through I got admitted to hospital with an infection of the esophagus - really poorly - couldn't breathe or swallow.
    The day I got out of hospital I tried to finish the rings - they weren't my best work but she needed them that day. Next day she phoned to ask if I could reduce the size of her girlfriend's ring as it was too big grrrrrrrr - I felt I'd failed. I think that's when I lost my Mojo

You lost your mojo when you didn't get a guessed ring-size right?!

What were the chances of getting it right?

From the range of most common female UK rings, I make it 1:17 or 5.9% Assuming you know that she is either larger or smaller than average (and still within the most common size range) it is still only 1:8 or 12.5%.

Don't worry about it.

It was probably the straw that broke my back! Great advice though, thank you x

Best tip given to me with regards regaining mojo....look at other artists. Look at other art forms. Take a step back and gain an objective view of what exactly has been niggling you (because I bet it's more than the ring size error) and look for a workaround that enables you to get back to what you love and are passionate about. Wishing you luck!