Thread: Marketing book feedback please

Question Marketing book feedback please

Hi All,

I'm normally a friendly, cheerful person, who can talk to most people, but when it comes to selling to potential customers I either go completely silent or there's a bit of incoherent mumbling going on. I know this gives a terrible impression and I'm determined to conquer this 'demon' holding me back.

So, I've been looking at various books on-line and wondered whether any of you have used this book, Amazon.co.uk: Customer Reviews: Marketing and Selling Your Handmade Jewelry or have other information I could get hold of that I could learn from and get out there selling! I know my jewellery needs improving/changing etc etc and I'm on the case there.. but right now, I must find a way to improve my selling technique, because I've got two events booked for October. I don't want a 'hard sell' technique, as personally I avoid anyone like the plague who tries to give me that BS, but just something that will enable me to improve in an understated kind of way (if you know what I mean?).

lotsaluv
    Julesx

Good on you hun for attacking this problem. I am very proud of you cos it terrifies me. (p.s if you found the answer do share )
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

Lord I know how you feel - I can't sell for toffee! (I can't quite convince myself that anyone would want to buy something I've made)

One thing that I have found that helps me a little is banning the word 'sell' from head altogether when I talk to people. I find I'm ok just talking to people about a piece. I will tell them what it's made from, what inspired it etc. My enthusiasum for the piece comes through and I often find the conversation will wonder off topic a little but I think this probably makes me seem more genuine and less pushy. That's not to say I sell a lot all the time but my success rate has gone up from about 5% to around 40%.

Annie xXx

All things are possible - if you look at them the right way!

I wouldn't worry too much. As long as you smile at people and say hello, your work will speak for itself. I wouldn't say I'm particularly good at selling either but it seems to work out OK.

Wink Be yourself!

Hi,

When it comes to selling I think the best thing to do is be yourself. If that doesn't work I'd be inclined to be someone that you would feel comfortable buying from. Personally, I can't be doing with the hard sell from someone , so why would one of my customers want to go through the same trauma that I go through.

Also, take the opportunity to mention wherever you can that you make jewellery and sell it. I went to a new hairdressers yesterday for a cut and blow dry and came out with an invitation to leave my business cards for their customers and provide some samples - that was all from me just mentioning I made jewellery and was in the early stages of setting up my business as a side line to my full time job. All very innocent, but looked what happened!

Fi

Sorry I can't help you with that book Jules...although it does look really familiar - I can't think where I have seen it before...perhaps it's in the local library??

Anyway...another suggestion - which I also have not read(!!) but have thought about getting myself is this one by Rena Klingenberg. I've been getting her newsletter for ages and find all sorts of good tips in that...and she seems very down to earth and sensible!! American of course....but there is a link to the ad for her book....complete with a list of the contents which looks pretty comprehensive to me. You can download it as an e-book (instant gratification!!! Yea!!!!) or pay for the hard copy to be shipped. Ultimate Guide to Your Profitable Jewelry Booth

Here is a link to the backissues of her newsletter for you to dip into to get a feel for her style...and there is a sign-up link (all free) at the bottom of the page! Back Issues for Jewelry Business Success News If you don't already get the newsletter it is worth having a look at....you can always delete it or unsubscribe after all...but I usually read it over a couple of tea breaks (I think it comes every 2 weeks or so) and I'm usually quite impressed with the content.

Not a lot of help on the initial question I guess! The book is twice the price of the one you mention but is twice the size at 176 pages (it's a shame the exchange rate is so bad at the moment!)
    .....but if you do get it....let me know what it is like....and I can move it off my 'wants' list to my 'must get eventually when money permits' list!

Thanks so much for that Barbara for the links and info - your'e a star!

I've got a busy day today, as I'm re-pricing some of my stuff to possibly sell to a shop, but will hopefully pop back later to have a closer look at those links.

Lotsaluv
    Jules x

Default Saw this and thought of you!!

Hi Jules.......saw this and thought of you!! It was a link off an email I got this morning...and I've not trawled through the very lengthy advertising gumpf that goes with it yet. I think it is $27 for the e-book...whatever that works out to in sterling.... Anyway - you might like to check it out....

The Jewelry Selling Answer Book - Guide to Selling Artisan Handmade and Handcrafted Jewelry for Home Based and Retail Jewelry Sellers

OOh thanks for that Bee. I'll have a check out of that - probably tomorrow....
    lotsaluv
    Jules x