Thread: Sizing a split ring shank

Default Sizing a split ring shank

Up to now ive always made complete circle rings and soldered them onto a bezel back plate but id like to try having the shank with a gap in and solder the 2 ends to the bezel back as i think it will look neater than a complete circle...can't find any info on how to size the ring if theres gonna be a gap in the band? How do you do this? Thanks for all your help 😊

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I often make the full ring then mark and cut the band according to the size of the bezel. Depending on width, I usually size down a fraction (maybe 1/4 size) as you will have slightly more room than if it were just a plain band.

(Am sure there are way more elegant solutions!)

Quote Originally Posted by paulat View Post
    Up to now ive always made complete circle rings and soldered them onto a bezel back plate but id like to try having the shank with a gap in and solder the 2 ends to the bezel back as i think it will look neater than a complete circle...can't find any info on how to size the ring if theres gonna be a gap in the band? How do you do this? Thanks for all your help ��

Last edited by LydiaNiz; 02-02-2017 at 01:24 PM.

What you are describing is a D shaped shank, but any shape that can't be measured with a ring stick will need special treatment:

Once you have taken the size in the normal way, transfer the sizer to your own fingers and record a knuckle on which it will fit snugly, but not very tightly. This could be the first knuckle of your R index finger , for example.

Now make a back plate and shank (or any irregular shank) to fit this knuckle and try it on your subject to adjust, if necessary before proceeding with the real thing.

You can also use this method just to check variations for wider rings, without the need for a mock up.

My adjustable ring below can be made straight away in the final version, because the size can be tweaked by pinching the loops, or by pushing it up a ring stick Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adjustable Ring..jpg  

Thanks for that very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Fabulous ring design Dennis!
    Thanks Sarah. I find this idea very useful, as I have some people whose ring size goes up and down with medication. Adjusting it is quick and painless . Dennis.