Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Theme Competition February 2017 - Valentine's Day

I'm sorry to hear its been a horrendous year for you Ceri and hope things improve for you very soon.

The entries so far have all been lovely, though sadly no time for me to add anything this time - really busy atm.
    Jules

Here is a ring I made in February 2015 that truly symbolized the essence of Valentines Day and romance to my client. I have some pictures of its fabrication and will post in the tutorial section today.

I early February 2015, I was contacted by a person who wanted a custom ring made. Her husband had passed a couple years ago and she wanted a ring made from his wedding band and graduation ring. I could tell her grieving had been intense and profound as she still displayed extreme emotion at times.

She had seen some of my work and the only requests were that the design had the subtle elements of two eagles and she wanted some type of stone set into the design. We decided on a red garnet as her husband liked the color. The symbol of an eagle was significant in their lives spiritually and emotionally and she said that having two eagle elements would make her feel that her husband would always be with her watching over her.

After many attempts working on the design, I proposed the idea of an open eagle mouth holding the stone as it resembled a heart. She liked the idea and allowed me to create the ring without being involved in the details (always a bonus). The two eagle elements ended up being the open mouth heart holding the stone and some wings in the yellow gold portion of the shank wrapping around the finger.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC08577.jpg   DSC08581.jpg   EagleMouth.jpg  
    Last edited by Goldsmithing; 18-02-2017 at 07:40 PM.

Hi everyone,

Just a quick note to say that we are loving all the entries so far too!

Valentine's Day may now be over but you can still enter our monthly competition and be in with a chance of winning a £100 shopping spree

Good luck!

Jen

Thanks Jules!

Hope I'm doing this right. Not entered the forum competition until today so here goes. Be kind!
    Here are my hand stamped layering chokers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4591.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	9961
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails suliebearsilverIMG_4591.jpg  
    Last edited by Snorkmaiden; 22-02-2017 at 07:33 PM.

Name:	11241616_900440023361913_7650860304536560419_n.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	9973Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4599.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	9974

What lovely entries. That rose is beautiful Peter.
    I've not posted for ages either (hope things are improving for you Ceri), last year was annus horriblus for us, with a few wonderful moments.

The most romantic pieces I have ever had the privilege of making were my children's engagement rings. The first for my daughter, keeping that a secret was a killer, and the second for my son to give to his (now) fiancee......

Hi all,

Here is just a gentle reminder that this competition must end tomorrow, so be sure to enter your design if you haven't already.

Remember there is a £100 shopping spree up for grabs!

Jen

The entries this month are all beautiful! And Peter and Goldsmithing you are both amazing as usual, I can only dream as being nearly as good one day...
    I'd like to enter my heart-of-hearts necklace. This is actually part of my first batch of items I created from wax and sent away to be cast. The heart design is something I could have just pierced from silver sheet but I wanted to experiment in wax! I used a piece of pre-sliced Ferris File-a-Wax for the heart and the arrow was made using pink sheet wax and blue wax 'wire'. I created the heart design using Word. The past few years I've been learning traditional silversmith techniques and then got distracted with metal clay for a while. For me wax casting feels like a combination of both which I find pretty exciting right now. (Photographing jewellery is still a challenge for me, so I go around my house taking pics under different lighting, etc. to see what works best, which is why my pictures all look so different!)

Name:	hearet2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	9978Click image for larger version. 

Name:	heart1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	9979Click image for larger version. 

Name:	heart3.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	9980
    Last edited by Sandra; 27-02-2017 at 07:26 PM.

Hi everyone,

We have loved seeing the entries to this month's Valentine's Day themed competition!

We are pleased to announce that the winner of the competition is Goldsmithing with the following entry:

Name:	february.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	9983

We really liked the story behind this piece and how the design incorporated the stone inside the heart. We also thought the piece had a wonderful shape and finish. Well done!

Please email competitions@cooksongold.com with your contact details and Cooksongold account number so we can arrange for your prize to be sorted.

Congratulations again!

Jen

Congrats Goldsmithing! Your ring is amazing.