Thread: Wire thickness needed for bangle

Default Wire thickness needed for bangle

Hi everyone - I'm making a simple bangle with an open end. (I've attached an - awful - sketch)

I'm planning to make it with square section silver wire. What thickness wire would you choose for a bangle that's going to be open at one end, possibly with small bars on the ends as shown in the pic?

Would 5mm by 5mm be enough? I don't want it to be very chunky as it's for a very slender wrist (ie, not mine!!). But obv needs to be strong enough to resist the odd snag on a jumper.

Thank you in advance,

Ruth

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3205.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	9847

That would be more than enough.I've used 2 x 2 recentlu and it's been dandy.

I would say an open ended bangle of that sort of thickness will always catch on something, Sod's law. I only really do cuffs open ended or put some sort of finial on wire ones but even then I catch it on something, that may just be me though!

Traditionally they have balls to stop them catching on things. Rather ordinary , but you can buy textured balls, or etch them.

As for thickness, I would not have more than 3.0mm, but 2.5 for a slender wrist. Square wire has sharp edges, which need a bit of smoothing.

Also remember not to bend it until all the soldering is complete, or it will be too soft.

So take your pick; three replies, three opinions. Dennis.

Thanks guys, brilliant and erudite help as always.
    I was planning to solder a bit of the same wire onto the ends to 'end' the bangle... thank you for the tip Dennis... I would probably have bent first and soldered after!
    Ruth

5mm would make it quite heavy - i'd go with 2.5 or 3mm personally. I have a very skinny wrist, one of the reason I started making bangles, and my very first was made from 3mm square wire and I wear it all the time (although soldering it with a small hand-held torch was a joint effort only made possible with much help from the lovely folks on the forum here!).

One thing to bear in mind is that the heaviest part will gravitate towards the back of the wrist and if the 'bars' are as long and chunky as in the drawing, this will mean they won't be staying decoratively at the front. If they do slip to the back, the 'bars' may clunk when they come into contact with keyboard, tables, etc., and possibly dig into the wrist. Just a thought.

Susieq

Thanks Susieq - I'm making it for my sister in law and she's very slight too.

I know what you mean about the design... it's her idea. Making it with slimmer wire helps, because its less of an investment; at 5mm the materials were going to be pushing £100... so at least if it dangles annoyingly (or gets caught on things!) it won't be so painful to scrap it and start again - or tweak it!

I share your pain with the small hand torch... you live and learn don't you! I am doing much better (but still not perfect) with a sievert and a bottle of propane!

Ruth