Thread: Preventing resin discolouration

Default Preventing resin discolouration

Hi,
    I've just started to use transparent coloured resin in my jewellery and created a necklace with resin inset within a sterling silver bezel (which includes a solid base). However its been mentioned that over time the base will oxidise and therefore the transparent resin will change colour. Does anyone have any ideas about how I prevent this? My tutor suggested using silver/gold leaf to coat the silver but this has proven rather tricky!

Any suggestions would be welcome and tried!

Thanks,
    Beth

Hi Beth, poured resin tends to discolour with time, but acrylic sheet will stay clear.

It can be cut with a saw, carved, drilled, or used in conjunction with two part epoxy resin as an adhesive, if the joints are reasonably accurate. Dennis

It is not the base metal that causes the discolouration, the resin naturally discolours, many brands claim otherwise however I have yet to find one that does not
    one way to minimize the problem is to tint the resin with colour

Hi china,

I already am colouring the resin but only quite lightly and with transparent pigment. I'm going to continue as-is for the time being as I've spoken to a couple of people this week and no-one has seen this issue.

Thanks,
    Beth

Hi Dennis,

I may try acrylic in the future - will need to investigate colour choices first!

Thanks,
    Beth
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Hi Beth, poured resin tends to discolour with time, but acrylic sheet will stay clear.

It can be cut with a saw, carved, drilled, or used in conjunction with two part epoxy resin as an adhesive, if the joints are reasonably accurate. Dennis

I use the resin from Cooksons now and haven't had any problems so far, been using it for about 2 years now.