Hi there,

A couple of years back I made some wedding rings in 18ct gold. At the time I didn't realise that the the guy worked a lot with his hands - mechanics etc... (in hindsight would have recommended different metal - sigh - silly me)
So just a few backs the guys ring split. My thoughts were that I could repair, cut out split area and then solder onto thicker silver to strengthen and solder and resize. No problems soldering the gold onto the silver (so now completely sealed) but when trying to solder the seams together they move away from one another every time. After a bit of research I think this is probably due to the different rates of thermal expansion in the metal? I have tried binding with wire but not tight enough - but don't want to damage ring. I have read that I could have made two rings and fitted one inside the other but of course now I have soldered top to bottom that it seems a bit past that. Has anyone got any tips that might help with solving this? I am at a bit of a loss... Or is it a lost cause? (oh dear).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Laurarara