Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thermal Expansion

Ahhhhh Success. Ring is soldered. Pressure fit ring & plus binding shown above. Finally.
    Thank you for your help Dennis.
    Now alls I gotta do is re-size and re-texture and re-sand and just a teeny tiny bit of clean up. Lol. I often use a mixture of metals in my work, I love contrast etc.. but NEVER AGAIN like this!
    (Silver was the preference Enigma. And weight under 7 grams so not so much an issue in UK.)
    Thanks again - really glad this forum is here...

Quote Originally Posted by laurarara View Post
    (Silver was the preference Enigma. And weight under 7 grams so not so much an issue in UK.)
    No, it remains an issue - it's the total weight of the item vs the exemption limit for gold as described.

Ah yes, see what you mean re: combined weight. Still, sending off for hallmarking the easy bit of soldering crazy expanding metals. Ha.

Can it be hallmarked if its silver and white gold ? I thought it had to be clear when marking mixed metals which was which?

I visualized it differently stretching across rather than around. [/QUOTE]

No I did not suggest that for two reasons:
    If the surface had been at all rounded, as in D shaped, the circumferential wire would slip off when tightened.
    Secondly, unless you make a bridge using say a cotter pin, the binding wire can get soldered to the ring, giving you yet another chore.

Still, thank goodness it is over now. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Making a bridge.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Can it be hallmarked if its silver and white gold ? I thought it had to be clear when marking mixed metals which was which?
    In all my discussions with the Assay office, they've always said the difference must be obvious - so silver/platinum mokume needs to be etched to delineate the 2 metals.

I thought so, in which case I understand it can only be marked as the lower value metal?

Ah yes Dennis, see what you mean.
    Yes...Thank goodness all done.
    Also got advised the following elsewhere which I think is a marvellous idea too. "I know this sounds too simple, but it works a treat, especially with heavy shanks that are difficult to keep together. I have a modified pair of pliers with hard leather-lined plates angled inwards to hold a shank. I pinch the solder in the join, flux it up and hit it with the oxy hard and fast. I always do a dry run first to make sure the ends are perfectly aligned. Surprisingly the leather survives!"

Just thought I would share info I've gained too maybe it might help someone else Lucky to have lots of helpful experts. Thank you.

Hallmarking - yep. All good. Xx