Thread: Ivory cleaning

Default Ivory cleaning

I got a piece of jewellery in today that has a section of ivory in the middle, the customer has asked if I can brighten/whiten the Ivory up. Is there a way to safely do this ? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Its the weekend, so this is the time for boring tasks, ensuring that you get no peace even on rest days.
    If you browse the methods below, you will see that two things they have in common is

1) To wear gloves I would suggest vinyl ones from Sainsbury. They come in an inexpensive pack.
    2) Using a white vinyl eraser grated or whole.

Have fun. Dennis. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ho...JMLU8geWnaKwCQ

Having used Ivory a few decades ago , it sands with fine emery and polishes up with rouge if careful. You may not be able to whiten it again as it tends to yellow with age like teeth unless it's just surface yellowing

For polishing ivory I have always used fine whiting (chalk) powder as a polishing compound, it can be applied damped with water and brushed off with a bristle brush or a clean calico mop on a bench polisher or pendant drill. The benefit of using whiting instead of rouge is that if the ivory has any surface fractures the rouge will stain the surface whereas the whiting does not. I also use whiting to shine up bright cut silver such as when I have used a scorper to bright cut surfaces.

James

That's true James, I've used toothpaste on Amber before as an experiment