Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Jewellers desk

Default DIY Jewellers desk

First off, all the best for the new year and your business.

I have been a little preoccupied with my day job, birthday and having to buy a new car, but I am back to start my first project.

About time I made a start and I was looking for something that will act as a beginners jewellery desk. I have seen something at Ikea that may be suitable with a few adjustments and wondered what you think. It will just be used for making basic rings for now. One is a corner desk and the other just a normal straight desk.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/d...-spr-09047121/

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/d...-art-10304992/

Hi there,

I can recommend the Alex base units as in your first link. My bench is comprised of two of them, with a solid oak ikea kitchen worktop cut to size and sat on them. The base units are super sturdy, although I expect while the legs screw on, the left side of that bench top will just rest on rubber bumpers sat on the Alex unit and so could move around. May not be a problem depending on the weight of the bench top and what ur doing, if it were you could always add a bracket at the back to secure.

I wonder if the bench tops in your links might not wear so well as proper wood (for example should u drop hot things on it) but if you can live with that its probably cheaper than solid wood.

I haven't ever had a real jewellers bench, but I have wondered over time if they're taller than a regular desk. At any rate I sometimes find the working position a bit low, so I'm thinking of getting a shorter chair!

hope that helps,
    Faith

As Faith has already pointed out, whichever you choose might have to be made more rigid, and adjusted for relative height by lowering the chair.

Also while you concentrate on your work, items will hurl themselves onto the floor, so barrier back and sides is needed.

Some people feel that a cut out is essential, but it will sacrifice a huge amount of work space in a home situation.

Drawers tend to give way under the weight of steel tools, so they might be best in plastic bins on the floor or on shelves.

A butchers trolley from Ikea for heavy items has also been mentioned'

The work surface can be improved by using an A3 cutting mat. In place of a skin you can use a drawer. Flooring must also be considered for when you drop hot things and also for visibility of small dropped items.

Here is one thread from the past: http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/sho...ght=work+bench Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Work Surface June'13.jpg   Workbench and Drawer.jpg   Workbench Drawer Removed.jpg  

Personally I'd make your own. Thats precisely what I did. Really simple job with no serious joinery skills needed, and it'll cost you £50-60 and be built to your exact spec and like a tank.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Nick martin View Post
    Personally I'd make your own. Thats precisely what I did. Really simple job with no serious joinery skills needed, and it'll cost you £50-60 and be built to your exact spec and like a tank.

Nick
    Hi Nick

Thanks for the idea. I think Dennis has linked to your build thread and is certainly food for thought. Will let you know what I decide and how I get on. Do you mind if I "replicate" your design?

Hi. I think the link Dennis posted is one of his own design and not mine.

These are my build pics although I've now added and expanded it as time has gone on and I've found myself needing more bench space.

Cheers,

Nick

Some more pics...

The other thing if you can still get them is an old office desk with drawers down the side. I had one for years until I got my new workshop and full length benches. I just cut out the half circle, tacked on a skin and a benchpeg et voila. It lasted years

Is that an xp deus

It is... before I went back to my first loves... A Minelab CTX3030 and GPX5000

Well spotted!

Nick