Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Packaging conumdrum

Default Packaging conumdrum

Hello all, have looked through previous threads on what sort of packaging people tend to opt for for their jewellery but some of the advice is from several years ago so just wondering for a more recent example what might be good for me to go for? I'll be selling, initially in a very small amount (but this will be a long-term venture and as such I want to start as I mean to go on), emerald, sapphire and ruby stud and drop earrings. There was some great advice from one the experts on here about going for two piece boxes as many customers tend to actually just throw the box away and store the jewellery in their own boxes etc, but do you think this would/could still look good for precious stud earrings? I want a hinged box (postal size, as my local post office is very difficult to get to), because in my mind this "matches" better for the perceived value of precious stone earrings, but I'm finding them hard to source in lots of 50 amounts in postal size (although could of course buy them from cookson for higher cost, they just obviously wouldn't be hot foil branded, in which case I'd get stickers ordered for the logo aspect but am worried this wouldn't look good enough?). I'm also looking to get my simple text logo hot foil printed on the front, but again, trying to source postal hinged boxes I can do this with in smaller amounts under 100 seems a bit impossible.

What do you think? Go cardboard two piece route, or try and find hinged options? I've seen other items on sites such as etsy and ebay that sell jewellery of similar/more expensive cost but in two piece boxes....I just can't decide. Please help! (thank you!)

I think it depends on the style of jewellery you make.
    For studio jewellery, like for instance that in my album, use flat boxes with stickers.
    For traditional jewellery and fine jewellery a more fancy lined and hinged box would be more appropriate.
    Browse 'box supplies for jewellers' for thousands of options. I get mine from Lynco by calling in, but their website is difficult. Dennis.

I would honestly go with what suits your style of jewellery. I happily send all my jewellery in two piece boxes, but it's packaged in a way that suits my work. You don't necessarily have to have foil branding, sometimes very plain can look very high-end. Hinged boxes in small amounts are available - but not sure what specifically you are after. Think as long as the quality of jewellery inside is great, as long as the packaging isn't cheap or flimsy and looks 'classic' you can't really go wrong.

I use 2 part boxes in black as they come in varied sizes which suits my work. Then I add tissue and sometimes ribbon depending on the customer. I've found some question it being boxed at all and many as has been said throw them away and use their own which when they aren't exactly cheap and sometimes I've had to get a size custom made, which cost a fortune, can be a bit annoying!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I think it depends on the style of jewellery you make.
    For studio jewellery, like for instance that in my album, use flat boxes with stickers.
    For traditional jewellery and fine jewellery a more fancy lined and hinged box would be more appropriate.
    Browse 'box supplies for jewellers' for thousands of options. I get mine from Lynco by calling in, but their website is difficult. Dennis.

Thank you Dennis, I'll definitely look at Lynco again. Saw them before last week, they seem really well-stocked.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    I use hinged boxes with my logo from http://www.karinakrafts.com

Thank you everyone. I really, really appreciate you taking time to offer your advice! I think I need to do a bit more planning before I can figure out how to get this just right - I used to run a different Etsy business when I was a bit younger which I now know I didn't get quite right, so this is quite important to me.

Enigma, I've actually been trying to get a hold of Karina Krafts since last week and as of this morning "no products to display" has appeared under all their headings on their website, which is really disappointing as I was veering towards their lovely hinged collections! I've been trying to find out how much they charge for printing but no response so far! Will keep trying though and looking at other avenues in the meantime. I'm just so terrible at coming up with ideas, always have been.

Thank you all again.

Try boxdisplays.co.uk

I've seen the most tat of plateI stuff in three layers of wrapping - outer sleeve. plastic hinged big box, then inner sleeper bag and suddenly it is high end high street
    It is a total waste of money but is expected by customers. Go figured
    Last edited by pearlescence; 25-01-2017 at 08:19 AM.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    Try boxdisplays.co.uk

I've seen the most tat of plateI stuff in three layers of wrapping - outer sleeve. plastic hinged big box, then inner sleeper bag and suddenly it is high end high street
    It is a total waste of money but is expected by customers. Go figured
    Thank you Pearl. I have to say, I've seen such tat on Amazon/eBay etc all wrapped up in lovely logoed boxes etc, a lot of it from China but hen I guess they have better access to cheaper printing options etc. You e swayed me again, think I'll buy the hinged boxes and go the nice wrapping route...

Quote Originally Posted by LydiaNiz View Post
    I would honestly go with what suits your style of jewellery. I happily send all my jewellery in two piece boxes, but it's packaged in a way that suits my work. You don't necessarily have to have foil branding, sometimes very plain can look very high-end. Hinged boxes in small amounts are available - but not sure what specifically you are after. Think as long as the quality of jewellery inside is great, as long as the packaging isn't cheap or flimsy and looks 'classic' you can't really go wrong.
    Lydia, your jewellery is beautiful! Is it expensive to send it in your two piece boxes if you don't mind me asking? (I'd imagine they aren't large letter size)?