Thread: Is this bracelet prototype too heavy?

Default Is this bracelet prototype too heavy?

Hello,

I just finished modelizing my latest bracelet and i'm about to prototype it.

Volume of the model is 61ml and if my calculation is right that would mean the silver made bracelet weight would be 640,5 grams. That s so much.

How could i modify the project in order to make it lighter without changing shape or style?

Thanks a lot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hexagone-bracelet-2-3.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	9824Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hexagone-bracelet-2.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	9825Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hexagone-bracelet-2-2.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	9826
    He who is valiant and pure of spirit may find the Holy Grail in the castle of aaauuuggghhh...
    http://plasmeo.com | uncomplete
    http://facebook.com/plasmeo

If you're a newcomer to silversmithing and making jewellery then this design looks to be way too ambitious, although of course I dont know your skillset / resources.

First thing that strikes me is the huge and impractical amount of silver you've calculated you'll need. Thats a vast amount, and if you plan on selling the finished item then good luck!

If you manage to cast it, then I'd guess that a lot of the weight is in the spherical terminals at each end. Can you not make them hollow and fabricate them after the casting seperately as that'll reduce weight.

The staggered 'scale' effect also looks like its made up of solid sections, so can these possibly be redesigned so that they are made up of square sectioned wire instead of solid squares?

No offence, but if I were you I think i'd go back to the drawing board unless you're planning to manufacture this as an artwork / proof of concept type piece as opposed to something wearable everyday.

Cheers,

Nick
    Last edited by Nick martin; 22-01-2017 at 06:25 PM.

The first thing I would do is answer your question Is it too heavy? And I would say it would be impossible to wear it .
    Our main thought too as Nick said is that the ends look as if they are solid and making them hollow would definitely bring the weight down but as the wire form seems chunky the balance might not be right. I'm wondering how you intend to manufacture this cuff?
    Style and comfort would be a good thing to achieve, if a customer tries something on and they feel weighted down it won't sell. We've all been guilty of designing something that might look good on the cat walk or for a photo shoot but I'd like to see some of those pieces worn in reality

Actually 30 to 60 grams is a reasonable weight for a bracelet or bangle.

Looking at your picture it is also possible that you have overestimated the ultimate weight.Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 22-01-2017 at 07:07 PM.

According to the post Dennis, its a huge 640 grams!

Nick

Perhaps consider CAD printing in aluminium rather than silver - would still be around 160g though, so too heavy for most but okay as a statement piece.

I get 660 grams to be around a 40 x40 x 40 mm cube thats a lot of metal ! its heavier than a bag of sugar there are no dimensions but im guessing there is a problem with the working of of the volume/weights ? , It looks like a cad rendering is it the software thats giving the volume ? I would put holes in each segment where they sandwich together you could make it lighter then also the ends could be hollow as suggested above, It would be so cool but wouldnt want to fall in the canal wearing it !! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick martin View Post
    According to the post Dennis, its a huge 640 grams!

Nick
    Well I'm a doubting Thomas. I think the calculation is up the pole. Mind you it would save going to the gym.Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    I get 660 grams to be around a 40 x40 x 40 mm cube thats a lot of metal ! its heavier than a bag of sugar there are no dimensions but im guessing there is a problem with the working of of the volume/weights ? , It looks like a cad rendering is it the software thats giving the volume ? I would put holes in each segment where they sandwich together you could make it lighter then also the ends could be hollow as suggested above, It would be so cool but wouldnt want to fall in the canal wearing it !! :-)
    A hell of a lot of metal. I think I'd also be looking to hollow the finials to start with, but I'm not sure that it'd knock that much off.
    *If* the volume calc is correct.

Good try tesbarr, but this thread is five years old. Some of us weren't even born then.