Thread: Hallmarking - practical advice

Default Hallmarking - practical advice

Now that I've sorted out new home insurance so can start thinking about selling, I'm getting items ready to send for hallmarking. Quite a few are pieces I have made for myself so are fully finished and some have stones set so I'll be opting for laser marking. And as my OH once said, if I have things hallmarked they'll be easier to sell for scrap.

I'm already registered with LAO and have been having a look at their website which has answered several questions, but still have a few. Bearing in mind I'll be choosing to take items in and collect rather than posting:-

1. How do most people package their items? I like the idea of using ring display boxes, etc, but for individual items they mention tissue paper rather than polybags. Aren't items likely to fall out of tissue paper? Will polybags ALWAYS incur and extra charge.

2. As previously said, I'm going to opt for laser marks so I can send in finished items - but can I send it items which have already been darkened with platinol - do I need to remove this totally - or only the part where I want the hallmark to go? Going forward, I'm guessing it's better to send items in before adding platinol.

3. I have one particular bangle which is heavily textured on both sides but do I need to make sure there's an area with no texturing for the hallmark? Common sense says the answer is yes, but I'm asking anyway!

Any other hints and tips greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance, Susieq

Hi Susie,

When I take things in, I use a stout box and enough bubble wrap to keep them apart and stop them rattling. You could just do several layers, but they don't like spending too much time unwrapping.

Each piece has a line marked with a red waterproof felt tip (Sharpie) where I want the mark to be. For lasers you can also use the size of the line to indicate the size of the hallmark.

For anything textured, I provide a smooth space made with a rubbler wheel, or the laser is not clear enough.

On the form I write, deep laser hallmarks please. Size and position as per red pen. Dennis.

Same here for Edinburgh, I put mine in a box divided by tissue or bubble wrap. I have had them return more finished pieces separately wrapped in wee bags but that has been their choice.

I put mine in a box and wrap the whole lot in bubble wrap. Everything marked with a sharpie where I'd like the hallmark. You can request to have the item struck lightly, for more delicate items, which is cheaper than having a laser mark which is more expensive. I wouldn't bother with tissue paper. Just don't put things into different bags, otherwise they will charge you extra for opening and dealing with them.
    Jules

I put them loose in a box if unfinished, or wrap all the pieces in one big sheet of tissue (one or two pieces, then fold, then another piece and fold and so on) then in a box. I usually ask for the deep laser mark on the reverse of anything anything other than rings, which I have punched.
    If I want a mark in a specific place, I do as Dennis mentioned. I also put an arrow if I want a mark a particular way up.
    I've had things that have been in platinol marked. It's fine, but the mark sometimes has matte white areas. Looks better if you mark then platinol. Def. leave a flat surface for marking.

Quote Originally Posted by LydiaNiz View Post
    ... I usually ask for the deep laser mark on the reverse of anything anything other than rings, which I have punched.
    Lydia, is there a specific reason you ask for rings to be punched rather than laser marked?

Generally, is it advisable/necessary to prepare a flat area for hallmarking, struck or laser marked, on the inner (double) curved surface of round and oval ring shanks?

Just that the inside of rings get a lot of wear, and a punch is a bit more durable. My jewellery tends to be pretty chunky so can take it :-)
    You do not need a flat area in rings, they can work with the curve.

Having talked with the people who actually do the assay they would love the most minimal packaging possible. If you were to put individual items into a divided tray container like a screw tray with no other packaging so they could just pick it up and do their job they would love you for many years. If you are going to deliver and collect there won't be risk of damage.
    Put yourself into the shoes of the assayer who has to open fiddly tiny jiffy bags and then unwrap from tissue paper for 20 items..not a happy bunny
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

The people I have met at the counter of assay offices Wendy (unlike the posher ones at recruiting drives), are as surly as hell. I dont think they could love anyone. Dennis.

Not talking about at the counter - talking about the actual assayers
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk