Thread: Wire wrapping nightmare!

Default Wire wrapping nightmare!

I'm trying to use sterling silver wire (0.2mm) for rough diamonds. Tiny holes and 0.2 is only wire that fits. That part fine but I'm then trying to add 0.6 wire and crimping together so i can create loop to attach silver chain. Thought i had it sussed but 0.2 wire just keeps snapping immediately after the crimp. Any suggestions for a work around? Diamonds so small i don't want to risk soldering.
    Any help greatly appreciated.

Silver is not very strong, so you may be asking too much of it at 0.20mm in diameter. You might be able to hang them from a chain, or incorporate them in a knitted tube, but they will not accept any tension or repeated impact, as on a bracelet.
    What are you making? Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 20-01-2017 at 10:56 PM.

Have you considered enlarging the holes rather than trying to make super fine wire do more than can reasonably be expected of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Silver is not very strong, so you may be asking too much of it at 0.20mm in diameter. You might be able to hang them from a chain, or incorporate them in a knitted tube, but they will not accept any tension or repeated impact, as on a bracelet.
    What are you making? Dennis.
    Thanks - making bracelet. I'm going to try specific beading wire, i just wanted entire bracelet to be sterling silver! I'm relatively new to this and learning all the time. Thanks for responding.

Thanks - stones are very small so enlarging holes not an option.

It depends how you are intending using the diamonds, but my initial thought would be to use a featherweight headpin through the middle, then using either the tip of round nose pliers or a small drill bit as a mandrel use the tail of the pin to wrap a rosary link. I might even be tempted to wrap the loop double? The tail will wrap round the base of your loop and provide a bit more resilience as you will need to protect against the loop and the gem being bent too often

You can then use a 0.6 jump ring to hang your diamonds individually or in clusters and attach to your main project.

Even double wrapping the loop and using the tail to wrap around the base of the links will only provide so much resilience so I would think the best bet would be to use them for earrings or a neckline piece where they are less prone to hard knocks. If you put them on a bracelet it should be for occasional wear and not everyday.

I might also be tempted to substitute silver plated copper pins

Have you thought about using them in a different way?

You could do a "channel set" between 2 wires.. Maybe solder a frame out of 0.6then use your 0.2 or 0.25 to weave on to the frame and use the nuggets as beads if you handle the wire carefully you might find it work hardens slightly less and therefore it won't be as brittle plus the frame will support it against flexing in use.?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk