Thread: End caps

Default End caps

Hello,

Can anyone tell me how to can make end caps like these ? I have a doming block and doming punches but the best I can make, is a cap that has no sides aka a shallow cap.

Thank youClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0034.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.9 KB 
ID:	9808Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0035.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.9 KB 
ID:	9809

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You are asking too much of your metal to turn a disk into an end cap.

A simple way is to make a more shallow dome, or just use a flat disk, solder it to a piece of bought tubing, add a jump ring and trim the surplus.

Two other ways:
    Pinch the end of some tubing closed with round pliers and add the jump ring. Or

Replace the reducing disk of a ring stretcher with a doming plate and using the base of the stretcher as an arbour press, to dome the end of the tubing. It helps to weaken the metal by cutting a few slots in the end first.

I haven't tried this, but you might be able to hold a piece of annealed tubiing with stout tweezers and lightly tap tap tap it in a doming block to close the end, if you cut a few slots first. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sb Making A Snake End.jpg   r Ring Stretcher with doming plate.jpg  

The ring stretcher and doming plate looks like something doable. Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Or use a half-drilled silver bead.
    Have just been watching Charles Lewton-Brain turning tubing using a flex shaft. You could easily use this method to close the end and saw to length afterwards.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XCop7QLQP8

It should be quite possible to make a small hemisphere from a disc with your doming block. If this doesn't have enough depth, make and add a cylider / tube.

Alternatively, just seal the end of a piece of tube and round the edges by filing / sanding.