Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't seem to drill a hole in copper

maybe you could use a ball burr just dont go to fast with it
    Last edited by josef1; 14-01-2017 at 11:26 AM.

I've just tried with HSS drill bits of varying sizes. Exactly the same result - well worse actually, as all it did was put a big dent in the copper, and the same in silver. These were new drill bits too. So maybe it's the dremel. I've been using it on a stand as a drill press, to bring it down onto the metal vertically. Perhaps the flexi shaft will work.

I don't know anything about dremels, but is it perhaps in reverse. That would give the result you describe.
    You could always try a left handed drill bit I suppose

If you are using it on a stand then the pressure should be having a more positive effect in drilling than being the cause. Have you centre punched the point where you want to drill? It should also, as you thought be more accurate in the stand rather than drilling by hand as you would be coming down vertically

Yes, I've been using a centre punch each time. I'm now wondering whether a mini benchtop drill press would be a good solution. But I'm now also wondering if the dremel will be up to stone setting projects. Perhaps I should just keep the dremel for carving pumpkins. Humph!

There are several possible explanations, some of which have been mentioned already:

1. Drill bit is soft metal or of poor quality
    2. It is blunt
    3. It is in reverse in relation to its cutting direction
    4. It is slipping in the chuck
    5. You are not pressing down hard enough.

It will be one or more of these. For fast cutting of metals I use cobalt drill bits. They are considerably more efficient than HSS.

It's a Dremel 3000.

Jewellery making requires control and precision. I would urge anyone with the funds, to go for a flex shaft, or a micromotor, which don't have to be that much dearer.

Dremels are far too fast and far too clunky. Dennis.

After dragging my husband into the workshop, and he experiencing the same results, we reckoned that the workstation was a bit loose, thus dissipating the energy (? his explanation) we tightened everything we possibly could. Tried again - and it worked! Oh joy! Thank you to everyone with the suggestions. We couldn't find a reverse direction option on the Dremel, we tried various different bits including brand new, specifically for metal, so I was really scratching my head. A slight looseness in the workstation was the culprit. Good lesson to learn, but it sure has been frustrating!