Thread: Cufflinks, Design. mm size, crystals, newbie

Smile Cufflinks, Design. mm size, crystals, newbie

Hello,

I am a newbie to jewelry making. Just a hobby. I just recently registered, and I will introduce myself later. (I really need help, as these stones may sell out soon.) I am not quite sure where to post this. I want to make cuff links. My questions are:

I have these Swarvoski foiled flat back glue-on crystals. I have six 8-mm square with gold foil backs (see photo).

I'm also looking at these:
    Vintage Dark Amethyst Purple Checkerboard Crystal 12x12mm Flat Back Square Cabochons made in Germany
    Backs: Flat with Gold Foil (see photo).

I am thinking of "framing" (somehow) either of the square crystals, possibly either one 12-mm square crystal in the center surrounded by
    crystal clear baguettes, or two 8-mm, centered surrounded by crystal clear baguettes.
    I don't quite understand the sizing and wonder if the baguettes are too high. I don't know how to hyperlink this website.

Embellishment, Swarovski® crystal rhinestone, Crystal Passions®, crystal clear, foil back, 12x6mm faceted pure baguette fancy stone (4524).

I have not yet ordered gold tone cuff-link blanks. Still unsure what the size will be.

Thank you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails amethyst crystals resized.jpg   amethyst checkerboard.jpg  

Hi Glo, and welcome to the forum.

What you describe is not really how jewellers set out to make cufflinks. If you look at this recent enquiry, you will get the gist of it. Usually we just mount gemstones, or non precious stones for the outer button, or make a decorative metal one, either plain or enamelled, so I'm sorry if you don't have any replies.

:http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8413. Dennis.

Hi Glo,

I haven't ever tried to do what you're doing, but if you're struggling with sizes perhaps some digital calipers would help, they're not expensive from Amazon or Maplin somewhere like that. That would allow you get get accurate measuments of the crystals you have including the heights. The clear ones you are considering, assuming they don't state the height anywhere I'd just buy if they have a return policy, measure and send back if no good.

Then I'd scetch out my designs on graph paper, or better yet on the computer. Any drawing package that lets you type in the sizes of objects and move them around would work, I'd use Visio, but even Word or PowerPoint would do it in a pinch. Scale up the measurements uniformly to get an oversized drawing of your design until your happy.

That's all I can suggest I think, best of luck and welcome to the forum

Faith

Thank you Dennis and Faith for your replies