Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't seem to drill a hole in copper

Default Can't seem to drill a hole in copper

Hi and thanks for helping a newbie out ... I've done some jewellery courses in the past and thought I'd remembered it all. Maybe I am using the wrong tool (dremel 3000) but I cannot successfully drill a hole in copper. I'm using drill bits that came with the dremel, I'm wondering if they are for wood only, as I seem to be able to drill the most beautiful neat holes in wood! It seems that the metal is just too tough for the bits that I'm using, and they succeed in making a large dent and that's it really. I've tried a disc cutter with the smallest size disc which was ok but heavy going, and left a jagged sharp misshapen edge. I have annealed the copper regularly in case it's got too work hardened. My guess is that the dremel bits aren't built for metal. I'm wanting to create holes of varying sizes to fit a range of stringing materials. Any thoughts?

For drilling metals you need to use HSS drills.
    Not sure what type Dremel bits are.

James

Thank you James, I'll check this out

Quote Originally Posted by Beadmamma View Post
    Thank you James, I'll check this out
    When you do use HSS drills, I use a wax candle to lubricate the drills when drilling. I use the same candle for lubricating the backs of my saw blades when piercing.

Good luck
    James

Thanks James

I had exactly the same problem with my Dremel 3000, just wouldn't drill a hole, all that happened was the metal would get hotter and hotter but the drill just wouldn't go through. I gave up on it in the end and bought a Foredom.

Oh. That doesn't sound promising. In my ignorance, I thought a dremel would be perfect for jewellery making, as a cheaper option to a decent pendant drill. Looks like it was false economy.

If you go to http://www.dremeleurope.com/general/...or-6147-ocs-c/ and select Multi-Tool/Drilling/Copper from the drop-downs it will tell you exactly which Dremel branded product you need. But as mentioned above by James, basically HSS drill bits

I'd use a centre punch first to make a small indentation of where you want the hole to be, then use a good drillbit, like the ones from Cookies. I've used others, but the Cookies ones gave the best results for me.
    Jules

Very small drill bits (1mm and under) go blunt if you look at them at the wrong angle. Buy cheap and use only a few times. Treat them as disposable. Your bit may simply be to blunt.
    Lots of online sellers of bulk bits
    Plus your drill might not have enough power. Use a regular putting up shelves drill. You can get really neat ones for about £30
    If the drill bit and the material are getting hot your drill will certainly be blunt and you will never drill through, just wreck the material
    Last edited by pearlescence; 14-01-2017 at 10:40 AM.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk