Thread: How to prevent fine silver bezel melting when trying to solder onto 2mm thick silver

Default How to prevent fine silver bezel melting when trying to solder onto 2mm thick silver

Hi again im trying to solder a 10x8mm fine silver bezel onto a very thick 2mm x6mm flat shank (made a mistake shank too thick really) the problem is trying to get the shank hot enough without melting the fine silver thin bezel. A little hand torch just doesn't heat it all up enough. ..my more powerful butane one prob would but im worried it will melt the bezel? Any tips? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

You need to concentrate the heat on the shank until it is coming up to solder-flowing temperature and only then give the bezel major heat. A photo would let us know exactly what we're dealing with.

Do as Mark has said, but if you are worried about your bezel, fill the cup flush with a heat protecting paste such as Technoflux.

This will slow down the heating of the bezel in relation to the shank.

Fine silver actually has a higher melting piont than sterling. It's just the thinness which causes it to overheat. In future you might consider cutting your bezels from fine silver sheet and choosing 0.4, or even 0.5 mm thickness. Dennis.

Many thanks for your help. ..yes i managed it by heating carefully the shank and then just a bit on the bezel...☺

Heres a photo...only thing not happy with is theres a couple of gaps where bezel attaches to shank ...i filed under it flat but i guess i could have filed a slight curve in the bezel so that it fits flush. Only my second bezel ring and it was very tricky.

Heres the photo