Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best tool for making a groove in a ring

I found this on youtube you could mahe a cutter to make the groove but you could probs get a small lathe for what it costs !!

Hi suzie,

For me I'd use a metal lathe, or a milling machine. Or while the shank is flat, you could also carefully file the groove depending on your skill level.

The milling machine is a more versatile light engineering solution to using a lathe really. You clamp your piece, then cut it from any angle you like.

If you've access to a 3D printer, then decent grooves can also be achieved by casting in delft or cuttlefish.

If you're truly stuck, then I'd be happy to put the groove into any pieces you have using my metal-lathe if you wanted to send them to me and described what you were after?

Nick
    Last edited by Nick martin; 13-01-2017 at 07:41 AM.

Thank you all so much for your comments.

Tim, your cuff looks amazing.

I must admit, I didn't even know what a milling machine was and had to look it up. I'll have to look at a few You Tube videos to see how it works.
    And unfortunately at the moment, i don't have any heavy duty machinery, like a rolling mill. Or a lathe. One day!

I'm going to try the two methods i don't have to buy equipment for at the moment, and i'll post my results. That should be interesting.

I will try annealing the silver more thoroughly to solder the two strips together, and i'll have a look at the cheapest possible milling machine and a lathe as this is something i'll probably do a lot in the future.

Anyone with a lathe in North London???

I'm happy to help you out for nothing Susie for free, all that I'd ask is that you cover the postage to me?

PM me if its of any interest.

Cheers,

Nick

Nick you're amazing. Thank you. i'll try these other methods first, then i'll probably be in touch. That's very kind.

Nick, when you turn your grooves, do you first centre a piece of dowel to wedge the rings on, or is there something better? Dennis.

An expanding mandrel, similar to the GRS ring holders, is a good solution.

Hi Dennis,

Yes thats basically what I do. In fact I use a steel ring mandrel, mounted at both ends ( chuck / tailstock ) to support the ring. I then centre it, and secure it in place using tape. Once I'm satisfied its running true, then I'll put the groove in.

An expanding mandrel like Peter suggests is also a great solution, and I'm on with trying to make one actually.

Milling machines are another option of course, and probably offer more versatility too.

Nick

Thank you all, I'll try the ring stretcher idea first. The problem is that as the ring gets hot, it begins to slip and needs tightening up. My wooden internal ring clamp distorts rings so that they are no longer round. Dennis.