Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: thinking of buying a scorper and would like some advice

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Well Paul, preparing a file using a heatless stone on your flex shaft, followed by silicone wheels, will take all of 15 minutes. It only needs to be done once and you end up with a customised tool of your liking. Dennis.
    Agreed Dennis, I'm all in favour of adapting tools to suit your own use, just wanted to point out to those who are concerned about using powered grinding tools that there are ready made alternatives in this case... when you can actually find them available.

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia 71 View Post
    Thanks everyone. I gather it's possible to smooth the edge off whatever file I choose without a pendant drill or similar?
    Hi Patricia,

You can do the bulk of the work with the diamond plates by hand, they just don't leave a perfectly polished shiny surface, I don't know what the best way to polish the file edge by hand would be (having not done it myself) suggestions anyone?

I used the silicon wheels in a dremel to polish my file - any sort of 'dremel like' rotary multi-tool for DIY would do if you have access to one? The shanks on those wheels are 3/32 size btw, which isn't the default size of dremel tools, but all that means is you need a different sized collet in the dremel. And if you found one you could borrow, its owner may well already have a selection of alternative collets for it.

Otherwise wait and see if anyone has any good suggestions for polishing without a rotary tool .

Faith
    Last edited by Faith; 03-01-2017 at 03:20 PM.

Thanks everyone. I gather it's possible to smooth the edge off whatever file I choose without a pendant drill or similar?
    Yes, flat sharpening stones, followed by grades of abrasive paper, flat on the bench.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3pc-Profes...3D201455968819

Hi Paul. Thanks for this. I've checked with Cooksons and their pillar needle file is, indeed, cut on all four sides. They seem to have something called a 'warding file', though, which comes in a a pack of 12 and seems to be smooth on the edges as you describe.

Hi Paul. Thanks for this. I've checked with Cooksons and their pillar needle file is, indeed, cut on all four sides. They seem to have something called a 'warding file', though, which comes in a a pack of 12 and seems to be smooth on the edges as you describe.
    Hi Patricia, 'The Naming of Files', is such a minefield and probably varies much by trade/region/country. A 'warding' file should be a flat file (no quotes), quite thin and tapered on it's broad faces to a point. Usually cut on all 4 faces I thought, but I'm sure I have some, or at least one, cut only on the broad faces. If Cookson can confirm that the edges are uncut then it would work much as a smoothed half round does if the grade is also what you need. As good as the Vallorbe files are, and as tempting as that set of 12 is, it is expensive and definitely an expensive way to get a single file you want. I would try to get a single of the one you want (says he with a whole toolboxful of files! 'cos one more bargain file can't hurt and the obscurer the better)

I'm not sure where the idea has come from that you have to buy a set of twelve needle files from Cooksons in order to get a warding file. Warding files can be bought individually from them.

I'm not sure either what advantage, from a stone-safety point of view, a pillar file with one or more safety edges would have over a barrette file. The edge of a barrette needle file (i.e. the part in contact with the stone) is typically 0.3-0.5mm thick; the edge of a pillar file will be considerably thicker than this.

The edge on a barrette needle file is toothless. The reason its edge needs preparation by the end-user if it is to be used for filing against softer stones is that a). some of the teeth on the underside may project out from the edge a minute amount and b). the metal along that edge may have score marks and other imperfections that it would be better to smooth away.

Since both a) and b) can be said of the safety edge of a pillar file*, I can't really see any reason why a pillar file, having as it does a thicker edge than a barrette, is a better prospect than a barrette for filing up against stones. If anyone can give a reason why it would be, I'd certainly be interested to hear it.

*The only rectangular cross-section files I can find in the Vallorbe catalogue with safety edges indicated are called "Precision files", and it looks like they are mostly bigger than needle files.

This thread was originally asking about buying and using a scorper and everyone seems to suggest that a better effect can be achieved with a needle file, well some parts of bezel settings can be improved with a fine file, but if you want to clean up the curved section of the setting then a scorper is the tool to use, scorpers are a good addition to a jeweller's tool kit along with all types of needle files.

These are the needle files that I suggest you look at, the edges just need rubbing on a sharpening stone to make sure that they are smooth and are less likely to mark some stones, but please remember some stones are quite soft and can be marked easily, even a polishing mop can remove their surface gloss.

If you do get a scorper, take a look at this photo sheet I prepared about how I prepare a scorper for use.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	132b Preparing a scorper sheet with script.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	9760

James

You might get away with a small burnsher made from brass rod..
    Setting up a flat scorper & using it well would be best but that's best learnt by being shown as explaining in text is abit long winded.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    This thread was originally asking about buying and using a scorper and everyone seems to suggest that a better effect can be achieved with a needle file.

James
    I've not intended to suggest that.

Thanks, everyone, for all the helpful suggestions. Still thinking about the scorper - thanks for posting the photosheet, James. For the time being, I've ordered a barrette file, which I'll adapt as suggested.

Patricia