Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: thinking of buying a scorper and would like some advice

Quote Originally Posted by Faith View Post
    Thanks Patricia

Yep you get a cut 2 half round file like him: http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...rcode-997-2808, rub the edge that will be the inside edge completely smooth
    Faith
    I'm not sure why a half round file is particularly recommended for this task. I use barrette files in various cuts. Since barrettes have no teeth on the back edge, once the sides are taken down they are safer to use next to stones than a half round file.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurarius View Post
    I'm not sure why a half round file is particularly recommended for this task. I use barrette files in various cuts. Since barrettes have no teeth on the back edge, once the sides are taken down they are safer to use next to stones than a half round file.
    Very fair point! That's just exactly what I use based on the advice I was given, and it has worked very well for me. I don't see why you couldn't adapt a barrette the same way though.

Faith
    Last edited by Faith; 02-01-2017 at 11:25 PM.

Thanks, Auararius. I'll look into this too.

Thanks for the encouraging words, Enigma. Great idea about using a microscope - I have thought about this before and I think it would really help.

Hey Patricia,

Just in case, I will say with my half round file, I didn't just take the very edge off, I smoothed probably 1.5 - 2mm of the curved surface up from the flat face. That was to make sure no stray teeth got near my stones. So thinking on it, Marks suggestion may save you a bit of laborious file prep work

Faith

I like half round files because they are narrower and feel more comfortable in my hand. But if you inadvertently push the point of either into your finger, they are ouch. Dennis.

Thanks everyone. I gather it's possible to smooth the edge off whatever file I choose without a pendant drill or similar?

You should be able to get hold of a 'pillar' needle file in all cuts from 0 to 4, certainly in the Vallorbe brand. Which should be cut on the top and bottom faces only but smooth on the edges (or at least one edge should be smooth) I say 'should' in both cases as Cookson sell Vallorbe 'pillar' needle files and describe them as 'also known as flat files' and indeed they are 'flat' (or possibly, 'hand' or 'mill' files), if they are cut on all 4 sides, not just on the top and bottom, so should be rightfully described as what they are, flat files, not pillar files. They do appear at times on other internet sales sites, and occasionally as bargains on ebay. Unless you can hold it in your hands in a bricks and mortar store, or see an actual set of images on a sales site, you are likely to end up with a flat file cut on all 4 faces, sadly. The added complications of the differences between 'mill', 'hand' and 'flat' files should probably be left to history, but a genuine safe edged pillar file should be buyable to save all that grinding and smoothing.

Well Paul, preparing a file using a heatless stone on your flex shaft, followed by silicone wheels, will take all of 15 minutes. It only needs to be done once and you end up with a customised tool of your liking. Dennis.