Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soldering copper and silver ring joint

Default Soldering copper and silver ring joint

I have been making a ring which is made up from .5mm silver sheet, 7mm wide, which will be the inside of the ring, on to which is soldered two D shaped silver wires with one mm wide copper strip in-between. No problem with the sweat soldering, but when I bent the combined strip to make the joint, overlapping and springing back as I always do to maintain tension, the joint opened by almost a millimetre when I tried to solder it. Would this be anything to do with differences in expansion of the silver and the copper?
    I have managed it now, but it took several attempts. I've never had this problem with either silver or gold on its own.
    Many thanks

It sounds like a plausible theory since it is the mechanism which is employed to operate a bi-metallic strip making it bend to complete a circuit. Having not worked in copped and silver in such a manner I can't comment if it is a common issue but its an interesting phenomenon...

The only time I have had joints open up in such a way is when a ring has been worked and not annealed, it obviously springs apart when the joint is unsoldered. This is easily rectified, but I wonder how you eventually managed to solder it if this gap repeatedly opened up in your case?

It does happen occasionally, but if-lack of annealing is not the problem, the binding wire will cure it. In fact some members use binding wire routinely for heavy ring shanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    It does happen occasionally, but if-lack of annealing is not the problem, the binding wire will cure it. In fact some members use binding wire routinely for heavy ring shanks.
    I agree with Dennis and nearly always use binding wire

Many thanks. I had considered using binding wire, but as I'd never needed to in the past I didn't think it was necessary. I suppose the additional thickness makes the difference. If in doubt, give it a go.

Repeated attempts, finally holding joint together with heavy tweezers - should have tried binding wire.

Not a reply but a follow on question. I am very new to jewellery making so please excuse such a fundamental question. How do you use binding wire on this situation? Would the wire not become soldered to the ring as well?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ruedeleglise View Post
    Not a reply but a follow on question. I am very new to jewellery making so please excuse such a fundamental question. How do you use binding wire on this situation? Would the wire not become soldered to the ring as well?

Take a look at this old posting I added to the forum a couple of years ago, some photos show the use of binding wires, and they do not solder to silver, they may stick with the borax, but will peal off easily.

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6295

James

Great photos, thanks. What wire do you use...?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruedeleglise View Post
    Great photos, thanks. What wire do you use...?

I use standard iron binding wire, in various thicknesses; http://www.cooksongold.com/category_...omSuggest=true