Thread: Vacuum casting machines

Default Vacuum casting machines

Good morning,

I'm not quite sure if Ive asked this question before, but does anyone know of a UK supplier ( reliable! ) that supplies this kind of machine, or at least something very similar?

Come the New Year I'm wanting to try my hand at a bit of lost wax casting for the more complex design ideas that I have floating around my head. I know I can always send models off to a casting company but I'd much prefer to experiment myself in my own workshop, and to gain the invaluable insight into the process / experience first hand.

Heres the link to what I'm on about:

https://www.riogrande.com/Product/Du...Machine/704303

Cheers,

Nick

I don't know of any but would be interested as well! Do you have a local "hack space" maybe they'd have one for you to go play with??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Sam Ryde - Metalsmith
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    www.samryde.co.uk
    Follow me on Instagram
    Find me on Facebook

Walsh have this centrifugal casting machine and you could rely on their support. There is also a cheaper one lower down, but it would need a well, or other protection. However there are cheaper ones still on eBay. Dennis.
    https://www.hswalsh.com/product/cent...machine-tc0872

The problem with that setup Dennis is that it doesnt have the vacuum chamber to remove the air-bubbles from the investment prior to casting.

Interesting link though so thankyou, and I must admit that I always forget about Walsh as a supplier!

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Walsh have this centrifugal casting machine and you could rely on their support. There is also a cheaper one lower down, but it would need a well, or other protection. However there are cheaper ones still on eBay. Dennis.
    https://www.hswalsh.com/product/cent...machine-tc0872
    Just noticed on Walsh's site Dennis that they do a complete compact vacuum / casting machine like Rio do. Costs £1550 though so ouch!

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Nick martin View Post
    The problem with that setup Dennis is that it doesnt have the vacuum chamber to remove the air-bubbles from the investment prior to casting. Nick
    Well I think there is a misunderstanding there Nick. The investing is done prior to casting and the bubbles can be removed before the investment begins to set, using a vibrating table, or a vacuum chamber. Actually even the notched centre of a polishing brush on a lathe can provide the vibration.

Once dry it is heated to burn out the wax. Vacuum casting is used to draw the molten metal into the void. Those machines become expensive, particularly if the metal is also melted by induction. Dennis.

Thats what I meant Dennis... I.E. no vacuum chamber / vibrating plate with the centrifugal system.

Nick