Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tools

Default Tools

What tools should a beginner (like myself) be looking to buy first? Are there tools that you will need for every job? What would be the ideal kit?
    I ventured into Lidl yesterday and they had a Parkside Modelling Double Bench Grinder for £20. Worth getting one?

Description

Suitable for steel, non-ferrous metal and paint Two Ø 50mm grinding wheels, each with a working width of 13mm and adjustable rotation speed Adjustable grinding supports with spark protectors Steel wire brush, brass wire brush, plastic polishing disc, felt wheel, cotton wheel and mandrel included Specifications: - No-load speed (rpm): 30009000 - Grinding circulation speed (m/s): 824 - Grinding wheel grain size: 80/100

It very much depends what you would like to do really.
    I wouldn't say a bench grinder/polisher was an essential piece of kit though, useful for speeding up work on large items but not essential kit for a beginner.
    You also shouldn't use the grinding wheel they come with on silver apparently, I use the abrasive Artifex wheels:
    http://www.bettsmetalsales.com/p-Art...ode=TOOLSAB009

But definitely not an essential piece of kit to start.
    You need various hand tools really- pliers of various shapes and a nylon hammer,a scribe,a piercing saw, mandrels etc.
    You will also need a decent torch and soldering block and a couple of pairs of soldering tweezers and 3rd hands.
    As far as power tools go my most essential item is my Foredom pendant motor for drilling, burring, sanding and polishing .
    Other than that most people buy tools as they need them I think.

I agree with what Sarah says, first stock up with bench tools that you can make your items with. I only use my bench grinder for shaping and sharpening some bench tools.

The only items that I would add to Sarah's list is files and perhaps some hammers and shaping punches.

James

I want to start of with something basic like a Bolo bracelet. I also have a few ideas of how to change the design a little by wanting to experiment with different materials.
    As I said, I am a total noob, so thanks for the help.

Any good YouTube clips you can point me to for techniques etc etc

Braiding in the round - 4 strand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0afO40tsqAc

For practice, I'd get a reel of cheap leather lace.

After that, it'll be a question of making up end caps & a fastener - which can be as simple as buying findings or as much fun as making your own tubing from casting grain...

Check out Soham Harrison on youtube too for various general jewellery making videos, some of his work can be a little bit rough but he does make wonderfully concise videos so a good basis I think.
    There is also Ganoskin with many good tutorials:
    https://www.ganoksin.com
    And At The Bench also has lots of videos with good clear explanations by Andrew Berry although I think that involves a small monthly fee to subscribe now.
    Personally I just investigate the how once Ive decided what I want to make and progress that way.
    The ideal of course would be if you could sit at the bench with an expert but not many of us are lucky enough to be able to do that these days.
    There are places that do beginners courses though, In The Studio is good or some colleges offer them depending where you are.

Above all resist buying tools, except those necessary for the project you have set. Joining a class even for a short time will allow you to judge them in action. Dennis.

Thanks for the links and advice

Should keep me going for a while

Hi Tats I agree with what has already been posted, however having started from scratch myself a few years ago I have also found that attending short acourses and workshop were and still are invaluable for seeing , using and learning about various tools. This allowed me to build up my own little workshop with tools I knew would be the most useful for the work I am doing.

I'd echo what Sarah, Dennis and James have already said.

Basic tools to get you started such as tweezers, pliers, files, pickling solution, borax and dish, buff sticks, selection of hammers, charcoal blocks, half decent torch, piercing saw and so on.

If you decide its the hobby / business for you then you can go a bit further and start to buying dapping sets, pendant motors, burrs, larger torches, 3rd hands etc.

Nick