Thread: 9ct white gold

Default 9ct white gold

Happy New Year everyone!
    I've been asked to quote for a ringset using 9ct white gold. I have never used this before, are there any pitfalls I need to look out for please?
    I have looked at 1.2 and 1.5mm round wire which I intend to flatten slightly using my rolling mill.
    Also, do I have to use 9ct white gold solder too?
    She wants small stones as well, so I could use the wire flattened for bezels.
    Thank you

You probably should use white gold solder but I have seen it done with silver before...

I am not sure there's any particular pitfalls but I wonder if it will need rhodium to make it nice and shiny? I hear these days some of the metals are impregnated could someone advise I have been out of the game for so long.

You will need to use white gold solder if you want it hallmarking Theresa, well you could use another colour of the same carat but it won't match up properly.
    The only thing Ive had issues with using 9ct white is it collapsing when Ive misjudged the heat on soldering.
    I seem to recall I was using hard solder and Dennis recommended using medium as the melting temperatures were further apart.
    But that was on small items so shouldn't be an issue with the ring, just the bezels if you aren't careful.

Just as Sarah said, take care with the heat. The colour on the oct white I've had recently has been very bright and shiny so wouldn't worry about plating

Thank you for the tips. I was a bit concerned about working with gold because of the cost involved!